Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

re-install Big ?

I had to erase HD on iMac 27" 5k (2019). I want to use Recovery to do the new install of macOS Big Sure but I see even after erased the HD, Recovery ask on which HD I want install the OS: iMac or Macintosh HD-Data !?

Both have the same capacty (2.12 TB)

I believe is the same HD and I'm not sure which one I should choose !

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 6:41 AM

Hope this helps https://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com/blog/difference-between-macintosh-hd-and-macintosh-hd-data/

Install on Macintosh HD.

The Macintosh HD - Data is where your personal files are stored

6 replies

May 6, 2021 12:01 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Successfully erased my HD. I am ready to install the new OS (macOS Big Sure 11.3.1). Problem, Recovery asks me on which HD I want to install it. To my knowledge my iMac has only 1 HD, only it appears 2 with different names (iMac and Macintosh HD-Data). Both have the same capacity: 2.12 TB. Yet I know that my iMac has only 1 HD DE 2.12 TB !

Which one to choose for the new install ? Yesterday, during the previous installation, (iMac chosen) 30% of installed apps were inaccessible (permission denied ...

re-install Big ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.