Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Macintosh HD from Disk Utility

Hello, I really need your help. I’m about to sell my MacBook (MacBook pro late 2013 15 inch) and I wanted to clear everything. I made the big mistake of deleting Macintosh HD. I was supposed to just erase it and delete the Macintosh HD - Data but I deleted them all. Now I cannot reinstall MacOS because it does not see a drive to install it on. I’ve seen similar questions online, but everyone seems to have a newer version and I cannot find the same options. Does anyone know if my hard disk can be restored?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 1:26 AM

How to erase an Intel-based Mac

How to reinstall macOS

Follow these guidelines during installation:

• If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
  • If the installer doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk first.
  • If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, choose Macintosh HD.
  • Allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. Your Mac might restart and show a progress bar several times, and the screen might be empty for minutes at a time.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2021 1:26 AM in response to maaike113

How to erase an Intel-based Mac

How to reinstall macOS

Follow these guidelines during installation:

• If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
  • If the installer doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk first.
  • If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, choose Macintosh HD.
  • Allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. Your Mac might restart and show a progress bar several times, and the screen might be empty for minutes at a time.

Oct 6, 2021 2:23 AM in response to maaike113

I fixed it with the help of Apple Support! Thanks so much! I’ll share the solution in case anyone has the same issue…

Fist they asked me if I could go to the disk0 in the picture I shared before, then click Erase, change the name to “Macintosh HD” and the Erase button. But I could not change anything.

Then they told me to shut the Mac back off and when turning it back on immediately hold OPTIONS, COMMAND and R. It started Internet Recovery again and this time I suddenly got a different screen (I don’t know how, because I did this a few times myself before I got support and I always came back to the same old screen). Went back to Disk Utility and there were more options visible now. By the way, I accidentally clicked Dutch. So you might not recognise some words… But I’ll explain.

I clicked on the icon left of “Schrijfhulpprogramma” which is Desk Utility and chose “show all devices”. Now there’s the Aura Pro X2 Media disk that is internal. Select it and choose Erase in the toolbar on the top. Change the name to Macintosh HD and erase. Now I had my Macintosh HD back! I went back to reinstalling the OS and I could select Macintosh HD as a drive to install it on. Problem solved. Thanks so much Apple Support ;D

Deleted Macintosh HD from Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.