Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted Macintosh HD from Disk Utility

Wanted to reset my old macbook to factory settings but i messed up everything. I accidentally deleted macintosh HD from disk utility. I was supposed to just erase it and delete the Macintosh HD - Data but I deleted them all. Now I cannot reinstall MacOS because it does not see a drive to install it on. Is says "The installer information on the recovery server is damaged". Any help?

Silver

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 2:42 AM

Depending on the exact age of this computer - Internet Recovery Mode may or may not work

Suggest connecting the computer via Ethernet Cable to Router for the next steps.

Shutdown computer and restart an immediately Hold the 3 key combinations all together >> Command + Option + r <<

If it works a Spinning Globe will appear and start loading. Depending on the Apple Servers and Speed of you connection this can take some time.

Once Fully loaded  - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the Drive to Erase and format for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below requires HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2022 2:42 AM in response to silver181

Depending on the exact age of this computer - Internet Recovery Mode may or may not work

Suggest connecting the computer via Ethernet Cable to Router for the next steps.

Shutdown computer and restart an immediately Hold the 3 key combinations all together >> Command + Option + r <<

If it works a Spinning Globe will appear and start loading. Depending on the Apple Servers and Speed of you connection this can take some time.

Once Fully loaded  - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the Drive to Erase and format for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below requires HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Deleted Macintosh HD from Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.