Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I reinstall the Macintosh HD after completely deleting it?

I want to sell my macbook. When I wanted to delete everything, which turns out I actually did, I went to disk utility and clicked on the macintosh hd. But then instead of erasing it, I completely deleted it.

If my research is correct, and I understand it correctly, I deleted the operating system via deleting the whole Macintosh hd.

Will my problem be solved if I reinstall the the operating system or do I have to do something else?

Please help, I am desperate.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Sep 4, 2021 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2021 7:10 AM

Hi virag96,

Follow these steps on your Mac to create a new empty volume:

1. Make sure you have a fast and strong Internet connection available.
  2. Start up from macOS Recovery.
  3. When the list of utilities appears, select Disk Utility.
  4. Click the View button, then select Show All Devices.
  5. If you see a Container entry, select it. Otherwise, ignore these steps and follow the next set of steps below.
  6. Click the (+) button to add a new APFS volume. Name it "Macintosh HD", and choose APFS as the format. Then click Add.
  7. When finished, quit Disk Utility and reinstall macOS.

If you don't see a Container entry, or if you don't see the (+) button in Disk Utility, follow these steps instead, which will completely erase your Intel-based Mac and create a new volume:

1. Start up from macOS Recovery.
  2. Open Disk Utility, located in Applications -> Utilities.
  3. Click the View button, then select Show All Devices.
  4. Select the top level of the internal drive (APPLE SSD or APPLE HDD) and click Erase. Select these options, then click Erase:
    1. Name: Macintosh HD
    2. Format: APFS (if APFS is not available, choose Mac OS Extended Journaled)
    3. Scheme: GUID Partition Table/Map
  5. When the erase is finished, quit Disk Utility and reinstall macOS.

Hope this helps!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2021 7:10 AM in response to virag96

Hi virag96,

Follow these steps on your Mac to create a new empty volume:

1. Make sure you have a fast and strong Internet connection available.
  2. Start up from macOS Recovery.
  3. When the list of utilities appears, select Disk Utility.
  4. Click the View button, then select Show All Devices.
  5. If you see a Container entry, select it. Otherwise, ignore these steps and follow the next set of steps below.
  6. Click the (+) button to add a new APFS volume. Name it "Macintosh HD", and choose APFS as the format. Then click Add.
  7. When finished, quit Disk Utility and reinstall macOS.

If you don't see a Container entry, or if you don't see the (+) button in Disk Utility, follow these steps instead, which will completely erase your Intel-based Mac and create a new volume:

1. Start up from macOS Recovery.
  2. Open Disk Utility, located in Applications -> Utilities.
  3. Click the View button, then select Show All Devices.
  4. Select the top level of the internal drive (APPLE SSD or APPLE HDD) and click Erase. Select these options, then click Erase:
    1. Name: Macintosh HD
    2. Format: APFS (if APFS is not available, choose Mac OS Extended Journaled)
    3. Scheme: GUID Partition Table/Map
  5. When the erase is finished, quit Disk Utility and reinstall macOS.

Hope this helps!

Sep 4, 2021 3:55 PM in response to virag96

Here is what Apple recommends ➡️ What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

You seem to have gotten to Step 7 on that list.

How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Reloading an older Mac can be more involved, particularly if the Mac is too old to have Internet Recovery support in its firmware. If you can’t get to recovery as described above, please post the Mac model and year. Or post the model code. The model code will be in small print somewhere on the back or bottom or foot of the Mac.

Can I reinstall the Macintosh HD after completely deleting it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.