Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to understand how itunes stores album artwork

I grew tired of missing album artwork in iTunes. Now I put my own jpg file with each song in the iTunes. This is what I do: I highlight all the imported songs, delete the downloaded artwork, and add a jpg as artwork.

Does the album art actually stored with each song file (like Apple Lossless or mp3)? The Album Artwork folder is actually useless for me and does not need to be back up at all?

Thanks for your help.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 6, 2021 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 5:14 AM

The artwork cache differs between iTunes and Music in Catalina/Big Sur, but the app needs the cache, whether or not images are embedded in the tags. When you add your own images they will usually get embedded unless there is some form of permissions problem that prevents the change. You cannot add artwork to tracks in .wav format. See Repair security permissions for iTunes/Music for Mac - Apple Community if needed.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 5:14 AM in response to bpcofny

The artwork cache differs between iTunes and Music in Catalina/Big Sur, but the app needs the cache, whether or not images are embedded in the tags. When you add your own images they will usually get embedded unless there is some form of permissions problem that prevents the change. You cannot add artwork to tracks in .wav format. See Repair security permissions for iTunes/Music for Mac - Apple Community if needed.

tt2

Trying to understand how itunes stores album artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.