Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri speech stops after a few words, is this related to last update

Siri’s speech cuts off after a few words

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on May 6, 2021 5:30 PM

16 replies

May 14, 2021 1:28 PM in response to BobGSF

I have the same issue and it has persisted after rebooting. I am running iOS 14.5.1.

For example, if I ask Siri to send a message, it will speak and ask for the message content, but will not read my message back to me. It is clear from the screen text that it is waiting for me to confirm the text content and it will not send the text. If I ask a question that does not start a dialogue, for example, what’s the weather today, it will speak in response but cut off in the middle of the second or third work in the response.

I thought it might have something to do with my AirPods but the same thing happens without the AirPods. I also thought that my phone case might be pressing on the Siri button causing it to silence itself, but it still happens when the case is off. I am wondering if there is some setting or combination of sensor inputs that would cause Siri to switch from speaking to screen text only.

thanks for your help.

May 21, 2021 4:16 PM in response to hc1111

I have to admit that this problem has gotten weird. For a few days Siri worked without an issue. I would ask it to set a timer or tell me a joke and Siris speech wash perfect. Tonight I asked Siri to set a timer and her speech cut of again mid sentence. when asked to tell a joke she would get the first two or three syllables out and then the sound would stop..When I ask Siri to speak louder it will say " this is as loud as I get". That sentence is fully enunciated. I can hear each syllable. When i then ask Siri to tell a joke the problem is still there and you hear just the fist one, two , or three syllables.

I can listen to podcasts and other audible ads just fine.

May 7, 2021 2:08 PM in response to Paul Hartman

Hey there, Paul Hartman!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! We understand you're having trouble with Siri. We'll do our best to help!

To confirm, have you tried restarting your iPhone? What about checking for updates? iOS 14.5.1 is the latest available, so if this isn't installed, go ahead and do that next:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If this persists, reply back with more details for continued support.

All the best.

May 27, 2021 7:02 PM in response to Paul Hartman

Same here. Happens whether I’m in the car using CarPlay, connected to AirPods Pro, or just playing through the speaker.

also affects the speak selection accessibility feature which I use constantly. it’s even cutting off “speak selection / read selected content” where you set the spoken content speed (the rabbit and turtle). It sounds like “speak selecsh” and cuts off

Apple - Please help.

Siri speech stops after a few words, is this related to last update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.