Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur blocks Apps running that have worked previously with a "You do not have permission to open the application _____"

Recently upgraded to Big Sur and now a bunch of apps don't work. I get a message "You do not have permission to open the application _____" It suggest "Contact your computer or network administrator for assistance." I am the computer Admin.

Uninstalling and Reinstalling does not work.

APPLE: PLEASE STOP PREVENTING ME FROM USING THE APPS I NEED TO USE ON MY MacBOOK!!!

How do I get around this so I can continue to use these apps?

Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 7, 2021 2:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 2:36 AM

First reaction is to ask - are the apps in question compatible with Big Sur. Due diligence would require the User to verify this information before passing blame on Apple. Just because they may have worked on previous version of macOS does not automatically translate to work on Big Sur. Often time - Developers are behind on making compatible apps for newer OSs.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2021 2:36 AM in response to BennoInSydney

First reaction is to ask - are the apps in question compatible with Big Sur. Due diligence would require the User to verify this information before passing blame on Apple. Just because they may have worked on previous version of macOS does not automatically translate to work on Big Sur. Often time - Developers are behind on making compatible apps for newer OSs.

May 14, 2021 4:27 AM in response to PRP_53

What if a steam game that I have downloaded is already compatible with both Big Sur and the new M1 chip? I was playing it until suddenly I wasn't allowed to. I checked the game files and I saw something to do with profiles, once I clicked it says "Profile expired" with the date. I clicked install and it says "Installation failed" What do I do after this point?

May 31, 2021 1:12 PM in response to PRP_53

I'm having this issue with the Messages app. I just set up my new Macbook Pro 13" with Big Sur. I've allowed messages to be forwarded to this new device and new messages show up in a message banner even, but when I try to actually open the Messages app it says, "You do not have permission to open the application “Messages.app”.

Jun 3, 2021 8:24 PM in response to jbrocksd

I started having this issue yesterday on my M1 pro running latest Big Sur. It began with my Mac Pro login pw not working, although it’s the same login pw I’ve used since - no joke - 1995.

I booted into recovery, reset the pw, and all of a sudden many apps wouldn’t open - zoom, messages, word, slack etc. reinstalling them worked, but this issue has definitely messed with saved passwords, preferences, and seemingly deleted or moved my user files (desktop, docs, downloads).

My guess is a corrupted user Acct, but I have no way to confirm this.

Big Sur blocks Apps running that have worked previously with a "You do not have permission to open the application _____"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.