Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Transfer Application: dealing with the change of File Date Creation?

Background: As part of my backup strategy I use Image Transfer to move/export photos from my iPhone to my Mac Mini. This allows me to free up space on my phone. For a variety of reasons, I do not use the Photos App. When I export the photos from the phone, Image Transfer changes the original Created and Modified dates to the date of the export. And I understand that to be the normal behavior. Using Preview>Inspector I can see that the EXIF data has also been exported and shows the correct time of the original photo in the Date Time Original field.

I use the photo date and time when searching, managing and organizing. But I don't see any way of sorting the photos by the EXIF Date Time Original field within Finder. One option I've considered is changing the Creation date of the exported files to the Date Time Original field from the EXIF data. But I don't know how to do that in bulk - several thousand files. Another thought was a utility that provides the functions of Finder but includes the capability of sorting by EXIF fields - specifically the Date Time Original field.

Suggestions welcome. Thank You.

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 7, 2021 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 6:08 AM

When Apple's Image Capture application on macOS detects a connected iOS device, it will transfer those device images to the Mac using the EXIF DateTimeOriginal time stamp of the image for its Finder viewed creation and modification date. Any other tool performing this transfer may let the Finder ask the operating system to use the current hardware date/time for the creation/modification dates.

You are correct that the Finder lacks a sorting feature on the internal image DTO field. I would look into the third-party, free ExifTool which can help with sorting and displaying DTO information. The ExifTool site has a .dmg package installer for macOS that wants to install the application into /usr/local/bin, and you would need to adjust your PATH environment variable as ExifTool is run from the Terminal.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2021 6:08 AM in response to stevenfrombellefontaine

When Apple's Image Capture application on macOS detects a connected iOS device, it will transfer those device images to the Mac using the EXIF DateTimeOriginal time stamp of the image for its Finder viewed creation and modification date. Any other tool performing this transfer may let the Finder ask the operating system to use the current hardware date/time for the creation/modification dates.

You are correct that the Finder lacks a sorting feature on the internal image DTO field. I would look into the third-party, free ExifTool which can help with sorting and displaying DTO information. The ExifTool site has a .dmg package installer for macOS that wants to install the application into /usr/local/bin, and you would need to adjust your PATH environment variable as ExifTool is run from the Terminal.

May 11, 2021 6:19 AM in response to stevenfrombellefontaine

Never perform any ExifTool commands that you find on the Internet on files you do not want to change, and when you do, always test on a directory of duplicate images so you can measure the result without potential catastrophe.

I just tested this print-only example of sorting images by their DateTimeOriginal field on macOS 11.3.1. In this case, I am one level in the Terminal above the directory (TestImg) whose images that I want to process:

exiftool -p '$datetimeoriginal,$filename' 2>/dev/null ./TestImg | sort -t, -k1,19 -n | column -s, -t

This resulted in the following output to the Terminal:

The

2>/dev/null

throws away the total directories read and image files read output that would ordinarily appear, and in this case, mess up the sort. The ExifTool output is separated by a comma into two columns and that result is passed via a pipe '|' to the UNIX sort utility to break fields by comma and then sort column 1's date, which is 19 characters wide as a numeric (-n) sort:

| sort -t, -k1,19 -n

and then the output of the UNIX sort is again piped into the UNIX column command that bases its column output on the comma and automatically makes as many columns as represented by the comma delimiter

| column -s, -t

May 9, 2021 4:11 PM in response to VikingOSX

This was really helpful. I'm not a Terminal buff, but is seems like ExifTool would do the job for any individual files. I did a bit of searching and came across publicspace.net's products for working with the EXIF data. Any experiences with Better Finder Rename, Better Finder Attributes, Nifty File Lists? I'm thinking my needs would be met by being able to sort/group by Date Time Original field than modifying the file names or Created Date fields

Image Transfer Application: dealing with the change of File Date Creation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.