Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to keep the adjusted date and time in the EXIF data of images. How can I do that?

I adjusted the date and time for my photos on my iPhone. When I import them to my Mac using the Photos app the images EXIF data show the original date and time instead of the adjusted date and time. If I upload them to drive and download them on my Mac the EXIF data shows the downloaded date and time.

I want to keep the adjusted date and time in the EXIF data. How can I do that?

iPhone 8

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 6:55 AM

When you adjust the date and time and add descriptions on the iPhone, these data are stored in the Photos Library, but not in the exif tags of the original files. Photos iOS is never modifying the originals. When you download the photos from the iPhone to Photos for Mac the unmodified originals will be downloaded.

The easiest way to get the corrected date and time stamps, corrected locations, descriptions to your Mac would be syncing with iCloud Photos, not the direct download from the iPhone.

iCloud Photos will sync all changes you apply to the photos on your iPhone to the Mac and vice versa. All Metadata of the photos shown in Photos will be kept in sync.

On your Mac you can export the photos with the metadata included, when you use the command "File > Export > Export ... Photos".

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 6:55 AM in response to hsnawn

When you adjust the date and time and add descriptions on the iPhone, these data are stored in the Photos Library, but not in the exif tags of the original files. Photos iOS is never modifying the originals. When you download the photos from the iPhone to Photos for Mac the unmodified originals will be downloaded.

The easiest way to get the corrected date and time stamps, corrected locations, descriptions to your Mac would be syncing with iCloud Photos, not the direct download from the iPhone.

iCloud Photos will sync all changes you apply to the photos on your iPhone to the Mac and vice versa. All Metadata of the photos shown in Photos will be kept in sync.

On your Mac you can export the photos with the metadata included, when you use the command "File > Export > Export ... Photos".

Dec 14, 2022 4:37 AM in response to hsnawn

After syncing the photos from your iPhone to your Mac with iCloud Photos, they should have arrived in your Photos Library with all captions and dates and locations correct.

Why do you need to get them back to the iPhone? Syncing does not remove them from the iPhone. If you delete one of the photos from Photos, either on the Mac or the iPhone, you will delete them iCloud, and both devices, unless you disable iCloud Photos again. It would be much easier to iCloud Photos up and running on both devices and to have always the same photos and videos on both devices.

But to save your photos outside of of Photos with all metadata applied, select the photos in Photos, then use the command "File > Export > Export ...photos".

Dec 8, 2022 6:20 AM in response to hsnawn

There are two kinds of metadata involved when you consider jpeg or other image file.

One is the file data. This is what the Finder shows. This tells you nothing about the contents of the file, just the File itself.

The problem with File metadata is that it can easily change as the file is moved from place to place or exported, e-mailed, uploaded etc.

Photographs have also got both Exif and IPTC metadata. The date and time that your camera snapped the Photograph is recorded in the Exif metadata. Regardless of what the file date says, this is the actual time recorded by the camera.

Photo applications like Photos, CaptureOne, Lightroom, Mylio, Photoshop etc get their date and time from the Exif metadata.

So which date are you referring to?

Dec 8, 2022 6:29 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi, I am creating an image dataset for my application. I have adjusted the image date and time from the iPhone Photos app.

My iOS application reads images and their time and date from EXIF data. (It reads the adjusted date and time).

Now I want to move this image dataset to my Mac. So I can use it later. But when I import these images on Mac using the Mac Photos app, the image EXIF data shows the original date and time instead of the adjusted date and time.

Dec 12, 2022 4:01 AM in response to léonie

Thank you. With iCloud, all the dates, time stamps, locations, and descriptions are in sync with my iPhone.

However, when I download the images from iCloud all the dates, time stamps, locations, and descriptions are reverted back to the original.

How can I download/export images so that when I move them back to my iPhone they you the corrected dates, time stamps, locations, and descriptions?

I want to keep the adjusted date and time in the EXIF data of images. How can I do that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.