Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing a very old iMac (no installation discs or recovery mode)

Hi. I'm trying to completely erase a pre-2011 iMac (not sure of the year, it doesn't say in System Profiler). It's running OS10.6.8, if that matters.

I don't have any installation discs, and neither Cmd-R nor Cmd-Opt-R produce Recovery Mode. I don't have any backup installation drive. Is there any way of erasing it safely apart from just smashing it up?

Thanks.

Posted on May 7, 2021 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2021 9:56 AM

Buy the white SL DVD, you can still find them on Ebay. You can also physically remove the hard drive from the computer and take a sledge hammer to it. Then use Apple's recycling services to properly recycle the computer.

On such an old machine, those are the options available.

7 replies

May 7, 2021 10:15 AM in response to Stephen Coltrane

Followup to rkaufmann's wise counsel:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=mac+os+x+snow+leopard&_sacat=0

Avoid any that say "upgrade" in the title. Sealed packages are best. Reject any gray system install/restore disks; they often only work on a very narrow range of model variants.

Amazon was pretty much devoid of Snow Leopard disks.

I personally agree with extracting the old drive. No pre-2011 iMac will have much retained use so a disk removal will not affect the fate of the computer after it leaves your possession. Being an older model the HD is easier to access. Look for videos here.

Erasing a very old iMac (no installation discs or recovery mode)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.