Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crashed on wake. Screen flickers on for a moment, then crashes (mid-2014 Macbook Pro on Mojave 10.14.6 18G9028)

It doesn't happen often, but still, feels too often. Anything here stand out as a possible cause to look into?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on May 7, 2021 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 1:27 PM

You have a bunch of 3rd party kernel extensions

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp  6.1.18
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt  6.1.18
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB 6.1.18
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv 6.1.18

com.intel.kext.intelhaxm  6.1.1

com.techsmith.TACC  1.0.3

VirtualBox, as long as it is the version compatible with your release of macOS, has not been a problem for Mac users. At the company where I work, there are 1,000's of users running VirtualBox and it has not be a problem.

intelhaxm sometimes has been blamed for panics.

TechSmith, I do not know what it is, nor if it has a history of causing panics.

Anyway, if you do not need any of these kernel extensions, I suggest just remove them. If you need them, then make sure they are all versions compatible with your Mojave macOS

A "Kernel trap" can sometimes be caused by RAM, but you have non-replaceable Apple memory, and that rarely if ever fails. We generally only see 3rd party memory failures, and you cannot put 3rd party RAM into this Mac, so it not an issue.

The panic did happen in the Graphics driver, but you have 13" Macbook Pro and that uses the integrated intel graphics, which also never seems to cause any problems. If you had a 15" Macbook Pro, I might suspect the discrete GPU, but your Mac does not have a discrete GPU to fail.

So my "Best Guess" (and I do mean Guess) is either one of the above 3rd party kernel extensions is at fault, or you have a hardware problem with this Mac.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2021 1:27 PM in response to bbrod

You have a bunch of 3rd party kernel extensions

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp  6.1.18
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt  6.1.18
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB 6.1.18
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv 6.1.18

com.intel.kext.intelhaxm  6.1.1

com.techsmith.TACC  1.0.3

VirtualBox, as long as it is the version compatible with your release of macOS, has not been a problem for Mac users. At the company where I work, there are 1,000's of users running VirtualBox and it has not be a problem.

intelhaxm sometimes has been blamed for panics.

TechSmith, I do not know what it is, nor if it has a history of causing panics.

Anyway, if you do not need any of these kernel extensions, I suggest just remove them. If you need them, then make sure they are all versions compatible with your Mojave macOS

A "Kernel trap" can sometimes be caused by RAM, but you have non-replaceable Apple memory, and that rarely if ever fails. We generally only see 3rd party memory failures, and you cannot put 3rd party RAM into this Mac, so it not an issue.

The panic did happen in the Graphics driver, but you have 13" Macbook Pro and that uses the integrated intel graphics, which also never seems to cause any problems. If you had a 15" Macbook Pro, I might suspect the discrete GPU, but your Mac does not have a discrete GPU to fail.

So my "Best Guess" (and I do mean Guess) is either one of the above 3rd party kernel extensions is at fault, or you have a hardware problem with this Mac.

May 8, 2021 1:06 PM in response to bbrod

Hi bbrod,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We understand that you're looking to get to the bottom of why your Mac unexpectedly has shutdown after wake.

The following support article provides some great steps that can help isolate this behavior: If your Mac restarted because of a problem

Let us know what you find after following the suggestions listed. We look forward to hearing the results.

Cheers!

May 8, 2021 1:15 PM in response to racheals14

I've looked through it and been testing things for months. I even bought a new monitor thinking it was some issue with the old vga connection. I thought that might be the problem. It happens so infrequently — the computer was on for over 10 days before last reset — it's not really possible to test for.

I was curious if anything in the panic log caught someones attention as a possible cause. I've checked the extensions, and even removed some old legacy ones from random installs years ago, but I suspect that wasn't the cause.

Crashed on wake. Screen flickers on for a moment, then crashes (mid-2014 Macbook Pro on Mojave 10.14.6 18G9028)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.