Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE second generation Locked how to restore

My step-daughter has had her iPhone SE locked by Apple. Have contacted Apple Support 2 days ago, after two hour I was told to wait a day and she would get an e-mail with simple question to answer to restart phone. She has just received an email saying May11. Since there is no critical data on the phone what is my best course of action for her. Have been using Apple computers since the early days this very disappointing like Apple II.

Steve

Posted on May 8, 2021 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 6:06 PM

What you describe is a two factor authentication Apple ID that is in recovery mode. Your course of action is to wait until May 11th to reset the password.

Account recovery is a two phase process once started. Phase 1 is the evaluation period, usually 24-48 hours but can be longer or shorter. This phase says Apple is evaluating your info and you’ll get an update after the posted time is over (people mistakenly think it means they’ll be able to reset the password immediately after this first phase.)

Once phase 1 is done it enters phase 2 where https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid will give you the final amount of days (can be weeks) you’ll wait. On that final day you’ll get a text, follow that text/email immediately.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2021 6:06 PM in response to Win355

What you describe is a two factor authentication Apple ID that is in recovery mode. Your course of action is to wait until May 11th to reset the password.

Account recovery is a two phase process once started. Phase 1 is the evaluation period, usually 24-48 hours but can be longer or shorter. This phase says Apple is evaluating your info and you’ll get an update after the posted time is over (people mistakenly think it means they’ll be able to reset the password immediately after this first phase.)

Once phase 1 is done it enters phase 2 where https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid will give you the final amount of days (can be weeks) you’ll wait. On that final day you’ll get a text, follow that text/email immediately.

May 8, 2021 7:39 PM in response to Win355

If Find My is on, then no. A restore to factory settings will only make Find My iCloud Activation lock appear until you can sign in.

Per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204921 “In some cases, you might be able to speed up the account recovery process or reset your password immediately by verifying a six-digit code sent to your primary email address. You might also be able to shorten the wait time by providing credit-card details to confirm your identity. If you’re given this option, an authorization request goes to the card issuer.*”

May 8, 2021 7:03 PM in response to shoeluvr13

Is resetting phone possible to factory or new phone settings? Starting from scratch like it was new. It seems that waitings weeks as a possibility is a little much let alone May 11th. Unfortunately my step-daughter to the best of my knowledge repeatedly tried to reset passcode. I don't doubt Apple is concern about security but this a little much. Maybe it's me but I would think they could verify this phone faster.

iPhone SE second generation Locked how to restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.