Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icdd permanently uses 100% CPU after update to 11.3.1

After recent update of my mbp 15" 2018 to 11.3.1 (Big Sur) icdd continuously uses 100% cpu in my home environment.

Sofar I wrote a script that kills it every 10 seconds, but this is not a solution.

Reboot helped at first but not anymore.

I understand that this is part of image capturing but I still want to use my computer...

Is there anything one can do to disable it?

Posted on May 9, 2021 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 6:55 AM

Here are a few things to try:

1) Boot in safe mode, according to instructions here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.

This may delete some caches files that could be causing the problem.

2) Reset your SMC, according to instructions here: How to reset the SMC of your Mac

3) Reset NVRAM, according to instructions here: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

I did find a post with the exact same problem and the best solutions there were to delete the caches and try resetting SMC and PRAM. Unfortunately, one of the other suggestions was really, really bad, dangerous bad, so I'm not including the link.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2021 6:55 AM in response to Dvayanu

Here are a few things to try:

1) Boot in safe mode, according to instructions here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.

This may delete some caches files that could be causing the problem.

2) Reset your SMC, according to instructions here: How to reset the SMC of your Mac

3) Reset NVRAM, according to instructions here: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

I did find a post with the exact same problem and the best solutions there were to delete the caches and try resetting SMC and PRAM. Unfortunately, one of the other suggestions was really, really bad, dangerous bad, so I'm not including the link.

icdd permanently uses 100% CPU after update to 11.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.