Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shure MV88+ Microphone Causes Hard Restart on iPhone 12 Pro Max

After updating to IOS 14.5, my 2 week old Shure MV88+ Microphone when plugged into either of my 2 iPhone 12 Pro Max's, will sit for about 1 minute, then the orange error light comes on the back of the Microphone, then the iPhone 12 Pro Max goes into a hard restart. It reboots, then goes back into a restart loop. The only way to get the iPhone 12 Pro Max to power on at this point is to unplug the Shure MV88+ Microphone.

Updating to IOS 14.5.1 did not fix this.

I have only had this Shure MV88+ Microphone a few weeks and I am debating returning it for a refund, if it doesn't work with iPhones. Prior to upgrading to IOS 14.5 the Microphone did work.

Posted on May 9, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 12:32 AM

I’m having the exact same issue. After the update, my iPhone 12 Pro Max restarts randomly when the mic is connected, effectively rendering it useless. I really hope Apple and/or Shure will release a fix ASAP.

18 replies

May 10, 2021 11:04 AM in response to Scott Richardson2

Hi Scott Richardson2,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that your iPhone reboots when you plug in a Shure MV88+ microphone and we would like to help you with this! Let's follow the troubleshooting steps found in the links below: 

If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly

If your headphones don't work with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

About iPhone, iPad, and iPod accessories

Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories 

Shure MV88+ Troubleshooting Guide

If you continue to have issues with the microphone you may have to contact Shure Support for more help. 

Have a good day! 

May 12, 2021 6:10 AM in response to daikonmedia

Mine takes about a minute to fail. Then the orange error light comes on then the iPhone 12 Pro Max freezes, then goes into a reboot loop, until you unplug it. I have 2 iPhone 12 Pro Max iPhones and get the identical results with both phones. It does not affect my iPad Mini 5. It doesn't matter which app you are using, it will crash with nothing running, just plugging it in. It almost appears like a USB over current, but no message comes on the screen. Prior to 14.5, the Microphone worked just fine. I'm hoping there is a 14.5.2, because I don't want to have to wait for 14.6 to fix this.

May 13, 2021 11:59 PM in response to daikonmedia

i am not sure why this post is marked “solved” if there is no solution yet?

I just got brand new shure mv88+ and it is useless with my iPhone 12pro. Phone is restarting randomly or when connecting and disconnecting the mic. On shure website you can find this info;

* We've become aware of an issue involving lightning-connected microphones when connected to iPhone 12 models running the latest version of iOS, 14.5. If possible we advise to not upgrade to 14.5 until the issue is resolved.

Well, it’s too late for me. I have upgraded iPhone to the latest version. Is there any option to downgrade iOS to working version?

May 14, 2021 10:17 PM in response to Scott Richardson2

I'm having the same exact issue.

The thing is I don't have this issue on my old Iphone 6S even though the IOS version is the latest 14.5.1

It seems like this issue only happens on Iphone 12

It's not funny we cannot use our Shure MV88+ mic, Apple Customer Support, please fix this issue asap (please don't mark this post as solved, it is definitely NOT SOLVED yet).

May 14, 2021 11:08 PM in response to melissa_m77

The thing is I don't have this issue on my old Iphone 6S even though the IOS version is the latest 14.5.1

It seems like this issue only happens on Iphone 12

It's not funny we cannot use our Shure MV88+ mic, Apple Customer Support, please fix this issue asap (please don't mark this post as solved, it is definitely NOT SOLVED yet).

May 15, 2021 2:00 AM in response to melissa_m77

Hi Apple Customer Support,

This issue is definitely NOT SOLVED yet. Please assist to fix this and update us the resolution to the soonest.

It seems like this issue only happens on Iphone 12.

Please refer to Shure official announcement regarding this:

https://www.shure.com/en-US/motiv-compatibility

* We've become aware of an issue involving lightning-connected microphones when connected to iPhone 12 models running the latest version of iOS, 14.5. If possible we advise to not upgrade to 14.5 until the issue is resolved.

Jul 21, 2021 8:23 AM in response to yenthu

A quick update on this issue. I have worked with various support staff from Apples and Shure and T-Mobile. Apples shipped me a new IPhone 12 Pro. Unfortunately, the phone still got shut down while I was recording the 9th video (5 min long each). After restart, I continued to record the next 10 videos without MV88+ plugging, without any issue. Please do not purchase this Shure mic until the issue is resolved by Shure/Apple. FYI, in 2020 my IPhone XR/MV88+ worked well for an entire year under old IOS.

Shure MV88+ Microphone Causes Hard Restart on iPhone 12 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.