Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not responding

On my MacBook Pro that has Mojave the Finder is not responding. The menu at the top is missing. I don't know how to restart it or shut it down without it. I would like to try it in safe mode, but first I need to shut it down. The trash is also not working, but the rest, including Safari seems to be OK.

Posted on May 9, 2021 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 9:36 PM

Hold Power button in until it turns off, then...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2021 9:36 PM in response to JanSanelli

Hold Power button in until it turns off, then...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

May 9, 2021 6:28 PM in response to JanSanelli

JanSanelli Said:

"Finder not responding: On my MacBook Pro that has Mojave the Finder is not responding. The menu at the top is missing. I don't know how to restart it or shut it down without it. I would like to try it in safe mode, but first I need to shut it down. The trash is also not working, but the rest, including Safari seems to be OK."

-------

Try Getting to Finder:

Something may not be responding. So try manually getting into Finder. Here is how:

A. First - Get to Finder:

[Hold Down: command + Press: tab] until you get to Finder (the smileyface).

B. From FinderForce Quit the Application:

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: the application (an all other application ending in "(Not Responding)"
  4. Click: Force Quit button
  5. Click: Force Quit button

Finder not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.