Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the FIRST STEP for inserting an image in Pages 10?

Do you need to insert some kind of placeholder first? Is there a Pages 10 user guide somewhere? (Pages 9 was SO easy, and Pages 10 is SO frustrating!)

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 9, 2021 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 7:58 PM

Well, Pages is up to version 11. No need to worry.

Regardless the version, there are several different ways to add an image to Pages:

1) select the image and copy it from the source location (using whatever copy means you can… <command>+c, right click, select copy, etc), then switch to Pages, paste using the menu item "Edit > Paste"

2) select the Pages menu item "Insert > Choose…", then navigate to the image and select the file

3) Use the media tool in the Pages tool bar:

If none of these, work, post back with what you tried and what happened.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2021 7:58 PM in response to Juniper-Juniper

Well, Pages is up to version 11. No need to worry.

Regardless the version, there are several different ways to add an image to Pages:

1) select the image and copy it from the source location (using whatever copy means you can… <command>+c, right click, select copy, etc), then switch to Pages, paste using the menu item "Edit > Paste"

2) select the Pages menu item "Insert > Choose…", then navigate to the image and select the file

3) Use the media tool in the Pages tool bar:

If none of these, work, post back with what you tried and what happened.

May 16, 2021 4:59 PM in response to Juniper-Juniper

"All those things have always "worked"—that is, they add the picture to the file—but I have still not solved the problem that the picture will not stay where I want it. "

Perhaps your question should have been "How an I get a picture to stay where I place it in Pages?" rather than the rather nebulas "What is the FIRST STEP…?"

Insert the image however you want.

Then click the image to select it, resize if desired, and click the Format brush to open the Format Inspector in the right sidebar.

Then choose Arrange.

Every object placed in a Pages document defaults to the Move with Text setting seen in the Inspector.

Click Stay on Page to change the setting.

With the object now set to Stay on Page, you can move it to the location on the page that you want, and it will stay in tht location, relative to the point in the document to which it is pinned (which, experience suggests, is the top left corner of the first page in this section of the document).

Examine the other settings, and change the ones that are not currently set to do what you want.

check the other sections of the Inspector panel to see what other controls are available for images.

When done, click the Format Brush again to close the Inspector and save your settings.

Regards,

Barry

May 16, 2021 6:09 PM in response to Juniper-Juniper

HI J,

The image itself is an Object, and can be added directly using Insert > Choose, or by copying the image from its source, then pasting it into the document.

If you want to use a Mask, as I've done in the example below, the easiest way is to take a look at some of the templates supplied with Pages, and pick one that will do what you need. The best place to start that search is probably one of the Card templates.

I wanted to show a rectangular photo as a circular image, and found this example in the Template Chooser:

Double clicking the template image opened a new Pages Page Layout document made from it.

I only wanted the mask for the photo, so I inserted a new Page to provide some working space, then

clicked on the photo to select it (and the mask that was its container, pressed command-C to Copy, then clicked on the new page and pressed command-V to paste it into that page.

In the new page, the mask displayed a small button in the lower right. Clicking on it opened a window to my Photos folder.

The photo in the mask is a placeholder, so replacing it is easily done. All it needed was a click on the middle photo in the bottom row to put that little barred owl into the round frame, replacing the girl.

Double-clicking the image shows the full image, shaded where it is blocked by the mask, but allowing resizing and repositioning of the photo wrt the mask.

Black handles can be used to rsize or reshape the mask. the slider expands or contracts the image. Clickthe image and drag it to move it wrt the mask. Clicking done ends the editing session and shows the masked version.

From here, I'd copy the masked image and move the copy into the document I was building. It would remain editable in that document.

Regards,

Barry

May 16, 2021 4:22 PM in response to VikingOSX

All those things have always "worked"—that is, they add the picture to the file—but I have still not solved the problem that the picture will not stay where I want it. That's why I asked if I need to insert some kind of placeholder first.

I WISH Apple had not changed the nice, easy way that Pages 9 worked!!! This is SO frustrating!

May 16, 2021 5:09 PM in response to Barry

That WAS my first question (an earlier question, an earlier post), and I got an answer similar to yours, but I still had a ton of trouble, so I thought there might be a first step I didn't know about, like adding an image object or something. That's why I asked in this post for the first step.

I will try your instructions next time I am in Pages. Thanks for posting them.

What is the FIRST STEP for inserting an image in Pages 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.