Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages - Check Spelling While Typing - Your

Hello,

In Pages Version 10.1 (6913) I have only "Check Spelling While Typing"

turned on, and it quibbles with "Your", see screenshot:

Why does this happen?

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 10, 2021 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 1:26 PM

"This would logically mean that Pages thinks it's a problem with the context...?"

Possibly, but my understanding (which may well be out of date) is that the spell check tests only for the presence of that group of letters in it's spelling dictionary, while grammar check has a wider view that takes in context.

What each feature actually does is probably documented somewhere, but I've not seen it (and don't know if it is available to the public.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 1:26 PM in response to coxorange

"This would logically mean that Pages thinks it's a problem with the context...?"

Possibly, but my understanding (which may well be out of date) is that the spell check tests only for the presence of that group of letters in it's spelling dictionary, while grammar check has a wider view that takes in context.

What each feature actually does is probably documented somewhere, but I've not seen it (and don't know if it is available to the public.

Regards,

Barry

May 10, 2021 11:52 AM in response to coxorange

While the marked word is not misspelled, it and you're are among the most common pair of 'choice' errors made in written English. (Another is the there, their, they're trio.)

A possible explanation, then, would be that it's an intended flag to draw the writer's attention to a possible spelling error.

My Pages (likely an earlier version, and possibly set to a different region) does not flag "Your" in a copy of the text, and correctly flage "You're" in the same location as a "possible grammar error."

Is the flag specific to 'Your" or does 'your' also trigger it? Does 'your' get flagged in all situations? Does 'You're' or 'you're' also get flagged?

It could just mean that,for reasons not known, "Your" or "your" are not in the spelling list of your installed dictionary. If so, a right click (cotrol-click) on the word should bring up a menu with several choices to replace it, ignore it, or learn it, as seen for in this example using an intentional misspelling of 'Mind':

That said, consider using the Provide Pages Feedback menu item in the Pages menu to file a bug report. The report for will ask for directions on how to trigger this error, so you might try the situations described above and include any that also cause the red flag.

Regards,

Barry

May 10, 2021 12:47 PM in response to Barry

Thanks!

'your' and 'Your' show an error, but 'you're' and 'You're' do not.

Replacing the sentence with "Your hand has not typed this." (for example) also does not show an error, so it is clearly part of the dictionary.

However, when I right click on the original 'your' (the one that does show an error) the context menu does have an option for 'Learn Spelling'. This is even true if I copy and paste an instance of 'your' that does not show an error over the one that does show an error.

This would logically mean that Pages thinks it's a problem with the context...?

Pages - Check Spelling While Typing - Your

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.