Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am using an iPhone 6SE. After the last security update for BigSur OS, I don't see any way to sync my phone with my computer.

I am using an iPhone 6SE. I used to be able to sync my phone with my computer, make backups, etc. through iTunes. Since the last Big Sur security update, I do not even see where my phone is located, much less being able to sync, get updates or make backups. Can someone point me in the right direction or is Apple making me buy another phone?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on May 10, 2021 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 3:49 PM

Are you syncing files, i.e. pictures, music, etc., or updating the iOS system?

I find that using WiFi with my iPhone is always faster than cable when updating the system. When syncing files or backing up to my Mac cable is much better.

8 replies

May 10, 2021 2:38 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thank you. I did find that location, but my phone has been connected for hours and it still shows the software is loading. I have read about the USB vs Wifi syncing, but until my phone software is loaded into the finder, I really can't do anything. I have set the auto-lock to Never, and will let the computer and the phone connected to see if that can speed things up, so I can change the settings to WiFi syncing.

May 10, 2021 3:37 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thanks, I am connected with a cable to the iMac. Phone is in the finder now, with the never put to sleep option turned on. The computer is on, and it says Software: Loading. That is as far as it has gotten... still waiting... Both the iPhone and my iMac are up to date on the latest OS. I had this issue since I upgraded to Big Sur, but did sync through iTunes (or Music), but that option is no longer available with the latest security update...

May 10, 2021 6:31 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks. This was to backup my iPhone, and sync basically podcasts, pictures, emails and messages. I had the settings in the phone set to sync over wifi while charging, and that worked really well. Photos, text messages have not been syncing properly since I updated the iMac to Big Sur, particularly after the last security update. It's been over 3 hours, and my screen still says my Software: Loading, but I can't find a way to monitor if anything is happening. The phone was disconnected without any warning of interrupting some process. My phone is currently running OS14.4.2...

I am using an iPhone 6SE. After the last security update for BigSur OS, I don't see any way to sync my phone with my computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.