Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Photos library present

Hello everyone,

I am having difficulties with my MAC photos library in that it is different to the one in the cloud and on my iPhone.

I held down OPTION and opened Photos to select a library but there is not one present.

In my icloud I have photos ticked, syncing between phone an desktop icloud works perfectly, BUT when I open Photos via the app the library is different.

I don't know what to do.

Should I delete the library and try syncing via the cloud or...

Please help.

Thanks

Gav

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 10, 2021 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2021 6:12 PM

Hello,

After a long time of deleting a relatively small library, in comparison to many, I finally got rid of the old library and copied the working library from other devices onto the Mac Mini.

HUZZAA, I finally got the library to sync with other devices and the cloud.

Big thanks to all who responded with assistance, very appreciated.

The problem has been rectified.

Thanks

Gav

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2021 6:12 PM in response to Gav092

Hello,

After a long time of deleting a relatively small library, in comparison to many, I finally got rid of the old library and copied the working library from other devices onto the Mac Mini.

HUZZAA, I finally got the library to sync with other devices and the cloud.

Big thanks to all who responded with assistance, very appreciated.

The problem has been rectified.

Thanks

Gav

May 11, 2021 9:33 AM in response to Gav092

That is very odd. I can't imagine why the option key start is not working. What version of MacOS is on the Mini? - Or are you saying the library chooser comes up, but there is no library listed? If so, are you SURE the "use as system library" Button is greyed out in preferences. Where is the library stored on the Mini?

Can you check if your Mac Mini is starting in safe mode:

To check if you are in Safe Mode follow these steps:

1. Click on the Apple logo in the menu (top left).
  2. Click in About This Mac.
  3. Click on System Report.
  4. Click on Software and check what the Boot Mode is listed as - it will say Safe if you are in Safe Mode, otherwise it will say Normal.

May 10, 2021 10:29 PM in response to Gav092

You need to set your library on the mac to be the system library in Photos preferences, and make sure the iCloud tab in photos preferences is also set as shown.

You also need to make sure your mac user account is signed into the same apple ID as your Phone.

When you do that, your library will sync with iCloud (both ways, so what is in your library now will also go to iCloud)

If you only want the photos that are in iCloud, create a new empty library (using the option key start) and set that one as the system library.

May 10, 2021 10:35 PM in response to Gav092

What does the sync status say at the bottom of the "all photos" view.

Has Photos created an "unable to upload to iCloud" folder.

If you create a smart folder with the condition "Photo - is - unable to upload to iCloud" does it show anything?

If you create a smart folder with the condition "Photo - is - referenced" does it show anything?

How are you connecting to the internet, and do you have any vpn or firewall/security software installed?

May 10, 2021 10:38 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Status on the Mac Mini shows, constantly, 'Downloading 3,464 Originals Pause' but hitting the pause button doesn't do anything AND it shows the same ammount of images without changing.

If I take a pic on my phone it uploads immediately to the cloud and Macair, but not to the desktop.

Sync status on other devices are the same info and completed.

May 10, 2021 10:58 PM in response to TonyCollinet

If I create a "Photo - is - unable to upload to iCloud" on the desktop it creates an album only on the desktop and nowhere else,

If I create a "Photo - is - referenced" it only shows on desktop.

If I do this on the Macair the smart albums only show on that device without content.

total images on desktop 7123 and 3 vids, total images everywhere else 3201 and 23 vids.

Thanks for your help, but I feel like deleting the library off the desktop and seeing what happens then.

Cheers

Gav

May 11, 2021 12:41 AM in response to Gav092

Which system versions are running on your Macs?

Are the system versions the same?

'Downloading 3,464 Originals Pause'

Your Mac is clearly trying to download files and can't. It might be a problem of the file format, the available storage, the library location, your network connection.

Where is your current Photos Library stored? In Photos on the Mac that cannot download check the location of the library. You can see it in "Photos > Preferences > General: Library Location" . Click the button "Show in Finder".

Is the library in your Pictures folder (the best place) or somewhere else? Do you have sufficient free storage for the file to download? There should be more than 20GB of unused storage.

And how is the Mac connected to the Internet? It should be a Wi-Fi connection, not a cellular hotspot.

Even for only 3,464 files it can take several days. Do not interrupt it.

If the file system versions are different on your devices, a Mac with a newer system version may not be able to handle files in iCloud uploaded by Macs with an older system version, particularly older videos.

May 11, 2021 9:43 PM in response to léonie

Hi all,

I am on nights and will try and answer questions soon.

Thanks hugely for the assistance.

One thing before I go is the library is not present in photos but appears in the applications and is only 63mb.

I am thinking of copying and pasting the library from the mac air to the mac mini. Would this work.

Thanks

Contact soon.

No Photos library present

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.