Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing name of photos using my MacBook

I have recently imported about 60 photos from my iPhone to my MacBook. I can't see an area where I just used to rename the photo. I clicked on the (i) information button and added a title there. However, when I then go to forward the photos on to another person the photos just show the image details as the name. For example, I changed "IMG_8405.jpeg" to July 2020 Expenses using the information button. When I forwarded the photo to another person the title still shows as "IMG-8405.jpeg". Please help!

Posted on May 10, 2021 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 11:59 PM

Photos for Mac does not allow to change the filename of a photo. The original image file is always saved unchanged. When you change the title or the caption (description), Photos is changing the internal tags of the edited version, but not the original files. It you want to change the filename of a photo, you have to use "File > Export" to create a new file with a different filename in a folder outside of the Photos Library. Then share the new file.

• Select the photo in Photos, then use the command "File > Export > Export ... photos".
  • In the export dialog select the file format and quality you want, then use the "File Naming" preset to use a different filename.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2021 11:59 PM in response to TraceyBun1

Photos for Mac does not allow to change the filename of a photo. The original image file is always saved unchanged. When you change the title or the caption (description), Photos is changing the internal tags of the edited version, but not the original files. It you want to change the filename of a photo, you have to use "File > Export" to create a new file with a different filename in a folder outside of the Photos Library. Then share the new file.

• Select the photo in Photos, then use the command "File > Export > Export ... photos".
  • In the export dialog select the file format and quality you want, then use the "File Naming" preset to use a different filename.

Changing name of photos using my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.