Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable some faces recognition in Photos

In Photos App , I don't want to enable some unknown faces / People recognition.

Meaning. : Let's say that there is a Photo with 10 faces and I only want to recognize one face.

Other faces named Automatically as Unnamed and I don't want / need them

How can I disable Unnamed faces BUT leave an option to name Unnamed faces that didn't named yet and these faces I want to recognize ...

Thanks.

Posted on May 10, 2021 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 1:08 AM

The face detection is fully automatic and cannot be disabled in Photos for Mac.

We are not forced to put a name below the "unnamed faces". We can simply ignore them. Only the people we name will be added to the People album, but Photos is trying to recognise each and every face. This information is necessary to recognise the type of the scene, for example to to recognise a sporting event or a concert. Since Photos 3 on macOS High Sierra we even can no longer remove the circles around faces of people we are not interested in.

You can only turn off the option "View > Show faces", so we do no longer see the faces circles and names of strangers in the background and can view the photo clearly without the faces clutter. But this is just hiding all recognised faces and does not disable the face detection.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2021 1:08 AM in response to rony-z

The face detection is fully automatic and cannot be disabled in Photos for Mac.

We are not forced to put a name below the "unnamed faces". We can simply ignore them. Only the people we name will be added to the People album, but Photos is trying to recognise each and every face. This information is necessary to recognise the type of the scene, for example to to recognise a sporting event or a concert. Since Photos 3 on macOS High Sierra we even can no longer remove the circles around faces of people we are not interested in.

You can only turn off the option "View > Show faces", so we do no longer see the faces circles and names of strangers in the background and can view the photo clearly without the faces clutter. But this is just hiding all recognised faces and does not disable the face detection.

Disable some faces recognition in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.