Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to download App updates. Can't get App Store to accept my password

I'm having a small problem that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with.

I am trying to update Apps on my iPhone using the following process:

1. Tap App Store icon
  2. In the App Store 'home page', I tap on the (head and shoulders) icon to the top right of the screen
  3. This opens my Account page and I scroll down to the list of available updates.
  4. I click on 'Update All' (or any of the individual app Update buttons) to commence download of updates.
  5. I am then asked to enter my password if I have an Appleid. I do and it was shown in the first photo above. .
  6. When I enter my password (which I know to be correct having just logged into my AppleID on the Apple website) I get the following message advising that I have entered an incorrect password..
  7. I am then taken to the 'Sign into the iTunes Store' where I hit 'Forgot Password'. This takes me to the following screen. As you will see, the AppleID shown is not mine (it's my daughter's - we have family sharing set up). This is despite my email address being shown on the account page and in all settings related to Purchases , iCloud etc etc.
  8. All, if not most, of the Apps that I am looking to update are listed under my AppleID.

Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated. Apologies if this is an easily fixed issue. I'm just stuffed if I know what the fix is!

Many thanks...Scotty

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Posted on May 11, 2021 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 7:38 AM

Hi Scotty M,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that are you are having problems updating apps on your iPhone and we would like to help! We'd like for you to try the following troubleshooting steps: 

1. Back up iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

2. Update iPhone iOS 14.5.1: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch 

3. Restart your iPhone

4. Sign out of App Store and Sign back in: Go to the bottom of the App Store Account page and tap Sign Out and then Sign In at the top of the Account page. 

If you are still having problems check out the articles below for additional troubleshooting steps: 

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad

If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services

We hope this helps!

Take care. 

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2021 7:38 AM in response to Scotty M

Hi Scotty M,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that are you are having problems updating apps on your iPhone and we would like to help! We'd like for you to try the following troubleshooting steps: 

1. Back up iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

2. Update iPhone iOS 14.5.1: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch 

3. Restart your iPhone

4. Sign out of App Store and Sign back in: Go to the bottom of the App Store Account page and tap Sign Out and then Sign In at the top of the Account page. 

If you are still having problems check out the articles below for additional troubleshooting steps: 

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad

If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services

We hope this helps!

Take care. 

Trying to download App updates. Can't get App Store to accept my password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.