Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked MacBook asking for an old iCloud password

Hi - I need help. I got back my MacBook that has been locked for over two years. I unlocked the MacBook via www.icloud.com/find from the list of my devices, but when trying to login into MacBook, it still wants me to fill the iCloud password as of 21/12/18 (the date the MacBook was locked) see the picture, which obviously I don’t have anymore. Looking through Keychain didn’t help. The Erase request didn't help either. I ended up on this very same screen again... Did anyone experience the same? Why isn't the current Apple ID/Password not sufficient? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Posted on May 11, 2021 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 9:21 AM

Hello radek113,

Thank you for posting on Apple Support Communities and providing that photo.

If you are not able to unlock this Mac you could try to reset the Mac password by booting the computer into macOS recovery. Take a look at this resource to read the instructions. If you forgot your Mac login password.

From the looks of it, Filevault (Disk encryption) is turned on, on your computer which is why it is asking for the iCloud password - to unlock your disk and access your data.

If you follow the steps above and still cannot reset the password you may need to erase your computer and reset it to factory settings. Check here for those instructions: If you can't reset your Mac login password

Good luck!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2021 9:21 AM in response to radek113

Hello radek113,

Thank you for posting on Apple Support Communities and providing that photo.

If you are not able to unlock this Mac you could try to reset the Mac password by booting the computer into macOS recovery. Take a look at this resource to read the instructions. If you forgot your Mac login password.

From the looks of it, Filevault (Disk encryption) is turned on, on your computer which is why it is asking for the iCloud password - to unlock your disk and access your data.

If you follow the steps above and still cannot reset the password you may need to erase your computer and reset it to factory settings. Check here for those instructions: If you can't reset your Mac login password

Good luck!

Locked MacBook asking for an old iCloud password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.