Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDISERVER crash when connecting an Allen and Heath Xone K2 to a MacBook Air M1

I'm connecting and Allen & Heath Xone K2 MIDI controller to an M1 MacBook Air.

The controller lights up, and the audio interface is detected and functions correctly in Traktor Pro 3.

The MIDI functions don't work at all. The controller is not detected in Traktor, DJay and Ableton Live.

In Audio MIDI Setup > MIDI Studio, the device shows up but is greyed out, and when double clicking it, the settings windows shows up with all controls greyed too.

In the console, I found a crash report dated the first time I connected the controller to the MacBook.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 11, 2021 1:26 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

May 16, 2021 2:45 AM in response to bradsartor

I have the same problem and no one has a solution. It's really a shame because for me midi class compliant means that it should just go.

After the server first runs and then crashes is now only the question of who is responsible for the solution. Unfortunately, such things are already a problem with an operating system update and now with a completely new architecture it is even more difficult to say who is to blame. I think it only helps to wait. Too bad because I'm completely new to audio and producing with apple.

Jun 7, 2021 9:14 AM in response to bradsartor

I have now bought an adapter with power supply. Not as expensive as in the linked article from you. I hope that it really is the problem, then it should still work. Thanks for the tip. I am grateful for any tip and to get the part to run. I had just bought the K2 new to the M1 and then these problems.

I will then report here if it works.

Jun 8, 2021 8:17 AM in response to bradsartor

I have now tried it with this one:

i-tec USB 3.0 HUB 7-Port with External Power Adapter 36W - 7x USB 3.0 Port, Compatible with Laptop, Tablet, PC https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07N5FTPRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_125QTBZQWCFQPNTET8V3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately it doesn't work with this active USB adapter. I really don't know if I should buy the more expensive USB adapter from your link? Actually, it should not matter with which active USB adapter I use.

Jun 8, 2021 9:25 AM in response to bradsartor

I bought this cable:

UGREEN USB C (1m, White)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B072FNQLFC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_ZB019PRT74025K6RGQMD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

With that it was also no difference and MIDI did not work. Is now none what is sold directly as a music USB-C cable, should actually also make no difference. Although I have also considered one of chroma cables from DJ Tech Tool to buy. I will then look for a solution although I think it must be a real solution from Allen & Heath or Apple.

Jun 24, 2021 8:50 AM in response to bradsartor

I have now recreated this workaround:

https://dmgadget.net/en/djsetups/

I had previously taken similar devices with the same technical values. But then it did not work. Exactly with the same devices as in the article it worked then. Understand zero why but the workaround goes. But it must be exactly these devices. I have tried it with three different configurations and never worked the XONE:K2.

With the configuration you see in the pictures in the discussion to the article, it goes 100%.

Is my most expensive workaround ever.

MIDISERVER crash when connecting an Allen and Heath Xone K2 to a MacBook Air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.