Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anti-virus software?

I am setting up an email account for a non-profit with which I volunteer. They want to see a screen shot of proof I have anti virus software running on my computer. I do not have an antivirus software. I always thought that Macs did not need them

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 11, 2021 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 3:23 PM

Do not install a third party antivirus app. They use system resources while providing no benefit and they may cause problems.

Let the MacOS do its job:

macOS - Security - Apple

Set up your Mac to be secure - Apple Support

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Security features on your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2021 3:38 PM in response to DrJuliaSbragia

I wholeheartedly agree with BobTheFisherman on A/V apps. If they are worried about you forwarding email to their computers from yours that might contain viruses their A/V software on their computers should take care of that.

However, if they are adamant about you having an A/V app installed give ClamXAV a try. It's the most unobtrusive A/V app to Macs and will compromise performance the least. There's a trial/demo version you can try to see if it will run on your Mac without serious consequences.

Show the links to the non-profit personnel that BobTheFisherman gave and see if they will relent with the requirement.

May 11, 2021 5:10 PM in response to DrJuliaSbragia

DrJuliaSbragia wrote:

I am setting up an email account for a non-profit with which I volunteer. They want to see a screen shot of proof I have anti virus software running on my computer. I do not have an antivirus software. I always thought that Macs did not need them

Tell them you have a Mac and you don't need it. If that isn't good enough for them, let them pay a consultant.

May 18, 2021 12:39 PM in response to Cappiedog11

Cappiedog11 wrote:

if you call apple they will tell you they recommend it. Their support team told me to get it because they thought I had a possible malware infection.

If you have an Apple published ARTICLE that suggests you should be running a Virus Scanner, please post a link to it.

Otherwise, the recommendation any person gets on any given day from any of the about 750,000 Apple employs may vary widely, and should NOT be taken as gospel.

Anti-virus software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.