Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder isn't syncing images from Photos

I have the Finder set to sync the phone when connected. I have it set to sync all photos from the Photos library. Images that are being added to Photos on the Mac and smart albums that are being created with the new images are not being synced. This has been going on for some time, maybe a month, and has gotten to be a serious problem. There are images that I have to have on my phone, and I just don't understand why something so simple isn't working. The instruction is copy the library to the phone, and it can't do that.

Does anyone know how to make this work? Thanks very much.

Posted on May 12, 2021 7:39 AM

7 replies

May 13, 2021 7:41 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in Apple Support Communities! We understand that you're having some problems syncing the Photos app to your iPhone using Finder, and we'd like to help.

To get started, can you let us know whether you have multiple photo libraries on the Mac, or just the one? The reason we ask is that Finder will only sync the System Photo Library to the iPhone, and sometimes the incorrect library is selected if there are multiples available.

Also, how much free space is currently available on your iPhone? The article below may help as well.

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices

Let us know what you find, and we'll keep working on it!

Take care.

May 13, 2021 7:59 AM in response to Amanda239_91

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for getting back to me.

There's only one Photos Library on the Mac. It's in Pictures.

The phone has 128.5 GB used of 256 GB.

I have it set to do All photos and albums. On my screen below that dialog shown on the linked page I have the whole list of albums, all checked on, but dimmed as All photos and albums is checked.

Thanks again.

Oh, and I don't use iCloud Photo Library.

May 19, 2021 7:35 AM in response to Amanda239_91

Unsyncing? Switching off syncing for Photos, run the sync, and then turn syncing back on?

I was thinking of the scorched earth option. Doing a restore, but I have a problem with that as well. The Finder wants a password, but I have no idea what password it wants. It's not the computer password, or the iPhone passcode, nor the Apple ID password.

The nuclear option would mean a factory reset on the phone, wiping the content, and setting it up as a new phone, but that option involves a huge world of hurt.

I'm waiting to see if the next OS, which should be out soon, might provide a fix.

Thanks for your support Amanda.

Finder isn't syncing images from Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.