Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden Multiple Bugs in High Sierra

Hi Friends,

I have a 2017 iMac running High Sierra off of an external Thunderbolt SSD. I have deliberately not upgraded in order to preserve the ability to use legacy software such as Abobe CS6. Suddenly, in the last 30 days, a number of very simple functions (some vital, some not) have broken down. Reading around online suggests that other users are also having these problems, but they are not being discussed as a package, which I suspect that they are. Here is a list of what I have been seeing, running High Sierra 10.13.6:

• Cut/Copy/Paste functions no longer work within or between basic system applications (iTunes 12.8.2.3, Safari 13.1.2) but also Firefox and possibly others. Things copied from Chrome can still be pasted into the above mentioned apps.
    • Specific Thumbnails of any kind no longer show up in the finder
    • Common file types (mp3, aac, jpg, png, pdf) no longer open in their default apps. In the finder, mp3s appear as Audacity apps, jpgs as Photoshop apps, and so forth.
    • Garageband no longer saves projects as .band files, but simply as folders which GarageBand cannot reopen.
    • The app store update window is seriously messed up and also doesn't work.

In other respects my computer is running better than ever. But things like Copy/paste were basic features when I replaced my Commodore64 with a MacSE in 1988. I have tried a number of remedies (force quitting pboard in Activity Monitor, updating the dyld cache with terminal, numerous restarts, lots of disk first aid). I would do a clean install but it is huge pain, and I do not have much confidence that it will help. The whole thing seems very strange, frankly. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Many thanks,

AMB

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 12, 2021 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 1:22 PM

Hi A.M.B.,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We are happy to help with the issue you are having with your iMac. You mentioned you do not want to update your operating system. We recommend you Start up your Mac in safe mode. Starting up your Mac in safe mode can help you determine whether issues you’re experiencing are caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up. You might also want to create a new user and test the issue there. For details, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac here.

Cheers!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2021 1:22 PM in response to A.M.B.

Hi A.M.B.,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We are happy to help with the issue you are having with your iMac. You mentioned you do not want to update your operating system. We recommend you Start up your Mac in safe mode. Starting up your Mac in safe mode can help you determine whether issues you’re experiencing are caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up. You might also want to create a new user and test the issue there. For details, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac here.

Cheers!

May 13, 2021 5:16 PM in response to A.M.B.

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part of the above is...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Sudden Multiple Bugs in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.