Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install older version?

I am now on iMac 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Before i was working on a newer Mac. I bought the FCPX version 10.4.8 which is no more running on the older Mac. How can I install an older version and which version of FCPX you suggest?

Thank you!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 13, 2021 1:15 AM

11 replies

May 13, 2021 2:08 AM in response to werner261

Again, do a backup first!

A little (big) thing to consider: if your mac only has an HD (or even a "Fusion Drive" with a small SSD), the performance with Big Sur (especially when booting) may be underwhelming.

Your mac is very capable but the 5400rm HD is slow.

In this case, it is worth considering an external SSD. It will make your mac fly.

May 13, 2021 2:15 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Very helpful your posts, thank you Luis!

I have a HDD 1TB and a SSD (SM0032L) 27 GB. I might install it on the SSD?

Yeah I prepare a full Backup now, I just get this iMAc (used) new and step by step preparing everything.

Before I did upload the complete back up from my newer Mac (which is in my 2nd home in Asia) to this one and fix now the problems.

May 13, 2021 2:22 AM in response to werner261

This is what is called a "Fusion Drive". This is seen by the user as if it is a single drive. You don't specifically put things in either the HD part or the SSD part. The system will try to put things in a way that helps with performance.

You just install the OS and let it manage where things are.

If it proves to be slow, the alternative is to buy an external SSD, connected via USB3, and install the OS there.

This is in principle much faster than the internal. People who do this can use the internal drive for extra storage.

How to install older version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.