Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to use Time machine to back up two separate computers.

I want to use Time machine to back up two separate computers. I want to use these back ups to transfer to two new computers. Should I partiation the hard drive?

It seems if you are always using it on two computers it recognizes them, but I will be moving them to new computers

Thanks

Posted on May 13, 2021 2:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 3:56 AM

Yes would agree on Partitioning the Drive into Two Separate Partitions. The only downside - external drives do fail from time to time - so having all the Eggs in One Basket is hum - not a good idea in my opinion. Better to have two separate Externals and each assigned to different machines for Backup.

While doing a Rescue Plan of this type - worthwhile making Separate Bootable Clones again on separate external drives. If really what additional protection - have additional Bootable Clones Off-Site incase of fire, flood etc.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2021 3:56 AM in response to froghead2

Yes would agree on Partitioning the Drive into Two Separate Partitions. The only downside - external drives do fail from time to time - so having all the Eggs in One Basket is hum - not a good idea in my opinion. Better to have two separate Externals and each assigned to different machines for Backup.

While doing a Rescue Plan of this type - worthwhile making Separate Bootable Clones again on separate external drives. If really what additional protection - have additional Bootable Clones Off-Site incase of fire, flood etc.

I want to use Time machine to back up two separate computers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.