Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automobile's access to my Contacts?

When I paired my iPhone to my current car, the car brought in maybe a fifth of the contacts in my Contacts application. The contacts that the car brought in are exactly the ones that I do not want displayed on my very public dashboard. The car did not bring in the contacts that I would want to display, such as family.

I have the contacts in Contacts segregated into several different groups. Is there a way in the iPhone to limit the car's access to certain groups within Contacts?

iPhone SE

Posted on May 13, 2021 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 6:08 AM

You can't limit based on groups however you may limit by adding the email account which hosts your contacts. Remove the other emails while syncing to Car.

Contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2021 6:08 AM in response to R_55a

You can't limit based on groups however you may limit by adding the email account which hosts your contacts. Remove the other emails while syncing to Car.

Contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

May 13, 2021 7:09 AM in response to SravanKrA

What I see in my car's dashboard are all the contacts in my Contacts application. Almost all of those contacts are ones that I typed in manually over the course of the last thirty years. Two or three came from vcards that I imported. None of these contacts come from any emails. I am not aware that Contacts has any association with email accounts.

May 14, 2021 5:25 PM in response to R_55a

In case anyone is curious, the answer is a setting in the iPhone. Go Settings>Bluetooth>(name of automobile>("i" in circle)>Sync Contacts. The trick (that I still do not understand) is manipulating the bottom of this page. After I turn on "Sync Contract," the iPhone automatically chooses "All Contacts." After I de-selected "All Contacts," the iPhone chose exactly the one group of contacts that I most wanted to NOT show in my car. That group duly appeared in my car. After several more efforts at unpairing and re-pairing the car and the phone, I was able to de-select in the iPhone the undesired group of contacts and choose the one group that I do want. The undesired group continued to appear in the car. I gave up for half an hour. When I went back out and turned on the car, the correct group of contacts appeared in the car, and the undesired group did not.

Automobile's access to my Contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.