Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware/virus concern on macbook air

I have an older MacBook Air (bought in 2014). For weeks now, every time I open safari - regardless of what website I try to use, it keeps directing itself back to a “search baron” website, rather than google which is my preferred search engine. And if I try to put in a specific URL the page says gives me a warning about it being fraudulent and stealing private info, etc. I already looked into changing my settings through xfinity, because I had read on another forum that that could’ve been causing the problem. However, even trying my laptop at work and on other connections, it seems like my safari and computer has a mind of its own, as in its taking over and I can’t even complete a task anymore.

I’m assuming this means my laptop most likely has some sort of virus or malware issue - but I am stuck trying to figure out which app is actually going to be effective, because it seems like there are lots of options that won’t be beneficial as far as resolving the issue. Does apple have their own app for antivirus or malware on macs? Other than having the the newest software update.

Please Help!!!

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 13, 2021 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 10:03 AM

That type of search engine highjack is almost always is due to adware, usually caught from some unscrupulous download hosting site that is happy to include it with seemingly legitimate downloads.

Jakes answer is excellent. If that does not stop the hijacking of your search engine, the free version of MalwareBytes will find and delete the adware responsible. MalwareBytes is about the only third-party app of this sort that most senior ASC members recommend, because the developer has been a significant contributor here. Get MalwareBytes ONLY only the developer's site to avoid more adware:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2021 10:03 AM in response to bridgette416

That type of search engine highjack is almost always is due to adware, usually caught from some unscrupulous download hosting site that is happy to include it with seemingly legitimate downloads.

Jakes answer is excellent. If that does not stop the hijacking of your search engine, the free version of MalwareBytes will find and delete the adware responsible. MalwareBytes is about the only third-party app of this sort that most senior ASC members recommend, because the developer has been a significant contributor here. Get MalwareBytes ONLY only the developer's site to avoid more adware:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

May 13, 2021 8:59 AM in response to bridgette416

Hello, based on what you explained it seems to be like your search engine on safari got changed and possibly other safari things got changed when you got search baron installed not knowing, so here are some things you can do.

1. Launch Safari then click on Safari in the top left-hand corner
  2. Choose the Extension tab
  3. Look for a weird extension you have not installed before, if you find one select it and click uninstall
  4. Go to the General tab then change your homepage to your preferred one
  5. Navigate to the Search tab and pick the search engine from the drop-down list of your choosing.

Let me know if any of those fix it or if you have any more questions.

Malware/virus concern on macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.