Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Macs get a virus just by opening a website?

I'm being stupid & anxious, but I need confirmation. I was navigating to a domain, and accidentally messed up the spelling, and it redirected me to an IP address and a fake Apple ID sign in came up, with a pop-up apparently scanning the Mac for viruses.

Of course, I know it's a fake scan. Of course, I know it's not an official site.

That's not what I'm asking, I want to know if I can get a virus on my Mac just by opening that site: satisfiedshoes.***. I closed the tab 5 seconds after it redirected & I didn't enter anything into the text fields.

[MacBook Pro M1, Safari 15, macOS Big Sur]

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 10:48 AM

What can happen is that some web sites attach malware to the download files they send out. Malware is technically called a virus, but it does nor affect the computer's operating system like most viruses do. It will typically present you with windows to buy something, and thereby annoy you. The free app Malwarebytes is great for removing most malware. You can give it a try. Here is the link.

Malwarebytes

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2021 10:48 AM in response to edson68

What can happen is that some web sites attach malware to the download files they send out. Malware is technically called a virus, but it does nor affect the computer's operating system like most viruses do. It will typically present you with windows to buy something, and thereby annoy you. The free app Malwarebytes is great for removing most malware. You can give it a try. Here is the link.

Malwarebytes

Can Macs get a virus just by opening a website?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.