Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirTag Protecting Car In Another City

If I have an AirTag on my car at my condo in another city, do I have to always have it in lost mode for it to notify me that it's stolen?

In other words, I won't know it's missing for possibly months until I return in person. Right?

Posted on May 13, 2021 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 9:26 AM

Learn more about how Airtag finding works. --> Find your keys, wallet, and more with AirTag --> https://support.apple.com/HT210967

It works with Bluetooth which is short range unless somebody using the Find My Network walks by and it piggy-backs its location to an iPhone that person has, then gets its location transmitted to you via Apple's Find My service. That location is then stored for up to 24 hours.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2021 9:26 AM in response to timben

Learn more about how Airtag finding works. --> Find your keys, wallet, and more with AirTag --> https://support.apple.com/HT210967

It works with Bluetooth which is short range unless somebody using the Find My Network walks by and it piggy-backs its location to an iPhone that person has, then gets its location transmitted to you via Apple's Find My service. That location is then stored for up to 24 hours.

May 13, 2021 5:09 PM in response to Limnos

First, thanks for your helping me understand this new AirTag.

Second, I'm assuming that unless I have "lost mode" enabled for my AirTag in my car in the distant condo, if the car moves out of my garage due to a theft, and enters a more highly trafficked area, I won't get a notification? In other words, "lost mode" has to be on to be notified of a theft?

I've been leaving my lost-mode on, and it also seems to draining my iPhone battery more quickly. Sounds right to you?

Thank you!!!

May 14, 2021 9:08 AM in response to timben

Any service demand you put on a device will, of course, drain the battery. I suspect that's when Apple issues an iOS upgrade it results in a lot of "my battery doesn't last as long" posts here. A new iOS adds a feature which puts more demand on a device. I don't know the details of lost mode but if your device is now checking the Internet and using Bluetooth constantly, that's like leaving an extra light turned on at home.

AirTag Protecting Car In Another City

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.