Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID on new iPad

I’ve tried several times to set up Touch ID on iPad but it doesn’t work well. Is this function just poorly designed, or is my iPad not working properly?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 13, 2021 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 11:03 AM

Hi,

First, make sure to follow correctly instructions when setting up Touch ID.

Make sure that your fingers and the Touch ID sensor are clean and dry. For the Touch ID sensor, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris.

You can visit this page to get more advices.

If it still doesn’t work well, take your device to an Apple Retail Store, or contact Apple Support:

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2021 11:03 AM in response to Knitngrrl

Hi,

First, make sure to follow correctly instructions when setting up Touch ID.

Make sure that your fingers and the Touch ID sensor are clean and dry. For the Touch ID sensor, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris.

You can visit this page to get more advices.

If it still doesn’t work well, take your device to an Apple Retail Store, or contact Apple Support:

May 13, 2021 11:08 AM in response to Remi_202DC

Yup, I’ve followed all the directions, including a suggestion from another community to register the same finger several times. Nothing works. I literally just tried to set Touch ID up again, and tried to use it a few seconds later, still doesn’t work.

I live more than an hour away from the nearest Apple store, and this is something that would have to be diagnosed physically. So inconvenient. It would be so much better if this functionality just worked well.

May 13, 2021 11:18 AM in response to Knitngrrl

Every once in a while a problem can occur, even with a new device. If an hour's trip is inconvenient for you, then use the Get Support link at the top of the page here to contact Apple Support. You can arrange a mail-in for the iPad. If you just got it and it is less than 14 days old, I would return it to where you purchased it for a refund. Then go purchase a new iPad.

May 13, 2021 11:24 AM in response to Knitngrrl

Knitngrrl wrote:

Yup, I’ve followed all the directions, including a suggestion from another community to register the same finger several times. Nothing works. I literally just tried to set Touch ID up again, and tried to use it a few seconds later, still doesn’t work.

If you actually «followed all the directions», that would have, already, included «register[ing] the same finger several times» (emphasis added), with different part of that same finger touching the «Touch ID» sensor.

Remember: each «Touch ID» setup procedure is for a single finger, the entire time.

This sounds like you need to start your setup again, while following all the directions with far greater care.

I live more than an hour away from the nearest Apple store, and this is something that would have to be diagnosed physically. So inconvenient. It would be so much better if this functionality just worked well.

Note: neither my wife nor I have ever had any trouble with «Touch ID» on either of our iPads. It just worked quite well, from the very beginning.

Touch ID on new iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.