Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil on my Ipad air makes wavy lines

I bought an apple pencil gen 2 and an iPad air about a month ago, and now when I try to draw diagonal lines I notice that they are very noticeably wavy, is it supposed to be like that or do I have a problem with my pencil or iPad?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 13, 2021 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2021 3:43 PM

Roei090 wrote:

should I go to where I bought the Pencil from and talk to them (I have a warranty for over a year from now so that's covered) or can it be a problem with the iPad?

I am sure that if the issue does not resolve itself with removal of the glass screen protector, it still maybe an issue with Pencil.

If still no joy, search online to locate and call contact your nearest, “local” Apple Store location to try/attempt to make an appointment to get your Apple Pencil issue diagnosed and replaced with another new Pencil, if needed.

OR, failing that,

Contact Apple support via the contact support link located at the upper right hand corner of every Webpage of these Apple support communities.

Use the Device Performance and Connectivity support categories.

OR

by installing and using the Apple Support app found in the iOS App Store.

Tap the iOS App Store link below.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-support/id1130498044

OR

Call contact Apple via the support numbers found in the link bekow.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Best of Luck to You!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2021 3:43 PM in response to Roei090

Roei090 wrote:

should I go to where I bought the Pencil from and talk to them (I have a warranty for over a year from now so that's covered) or can it be a problem with the iPad?

I am sure that if the issue does not resolve itself with removal of the glass screen protector, it still maybe an issue with Pencil.

If still no joy, search online to locate and call contact your nearest, “local” Apple Store location to try/attempt to make an appointment to get your Apple Pencil issue diagnosed and replaced with another new Pencil, if needed.

OR, failing that,

Contact Apple support via the contact support link located at the upper right hand corner of every Webpage of these Apple support communities.

Use the Device Performance and Connectivity support categories.

OR

by installing and using the Apple Support app found in the iOS App Store.

Tap the iOS App Store link below.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-support/id1130498044

OR

Call contact Apple via the support numbers found in the link bekow.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Best of Luck to You!

May 14, 2021 1:24 PM in response to MichelPM

I'll do that tomorrow, as it's now 11 pm where I live and I'm gonna go to sleep, I'm gonna tell you if it fixes it then.

just in case though, if it doesn't help, should I go to where I bought the Pencil from and talk to them (I have a warranty for over a year from now so that's covered) or can it be a problem with the iPad?

May 14, 2021 1:32 PM in response to Roei090

Sometimes with screen protectors,,especially matte variety, the pencil tip CAN get loose from use.

Some glass screen protectors can be too thick for the Pencil to work properly.

Thicker glass screen protectors are NOT always desirable with the use of an Pencil because it puts the Pencil tip and sensor too far away from screen and the underlying layer responsible for an Pencil to work.

I would try your Pencil without your current glass screen protector and either opt for a thinner glass screen protector or a thin, plastic film screen protector instead. Either the smooth clear variety or a matte film screen protector, when having to use an Pencil.

Let me know if removing your glass screen protector off your iPad has solved the wavy diagonal line drawing issue with your Pencil.

If you need some Pencil drag on the tip of the Pencil, there are makers of silicone, flexible tips you can put over the Pencil tip so the Pencil is less slippery when writing/drawing on the glass surface.

Let me know the end result of removing the glass screen protector, either way.

Best of Luck to You!

May 15, 2021 1:39 AM in response to MichelPM

Hi,

I tried taking off the glass screen protector but I still had wavy lines, so that's not the problem. I'm thinking of going to where I got the Pencil and trying to see if I maybe changing the tip will fix the problem, if it doesn't I think I'll return the current one I have for a new one to see if that help, is that alright?

Apple pencil on my Ipad air makes wavy lines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.