Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thin vertical and horizontal lines across iPad Screen while using apple pencil

While using the apple pencil to write, thin lines that I did not draw appear across the screen. Sometimes vertical, sometimes horizontal. Often also in conjunction with the line that I'm drawing being interrupted, or with dots appearing randomly across the screen.

Restart does not help. Replacing the tips of the pencil or the entire pencil does not help.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 4:43 AM

I talked with Apple support about this and they made a range of different suggestions ranging from going into accessibility and turning zoom on and off to replacing the tip of the pencil to replacing the pencil... nothing helped

But I figured it out myself! The problem only occurs if I am charging my laptop and the iPad is touching the Laptop's metal frame or is near it. I assume that the laptop's frame has some kind of electric charge or magnetic field or something while charging, and that this interferes with the pencil and/or the iPad's touch screen.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2021 4:43 AM in response to K0rb1

I talked with Apple support about this and they made a range of different suggestions ranging from going into accessibility and turning zoom on and off to replacing the tip of the pencil to replacing the pencil... nothing helped

But I figured it out myself! The problem only occurs if I am charging my laptop and the iPad is touching the Laptop's metal frame or is near it. I assume that the laptop's frame has some kind of electric charge or magnetic field or something while charging, and that this interferes with the pencil and/or the iPad's touch screen.

Jul 17, 2021 11:19 AM in response to K0rb1

Hello K0rb1,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you're having some questions with your Apple Pencil, and we'd like to help. There are steps in the following article, about connecting your Apple Pencil to your iPad again, or when you're having issues with your Apple Pencil: Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad

If you still have issues, please Contact Apple Support.

Have a good day.

Thin vertical and horizontal lines across iPad Screen while using apple pencil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.