Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit secure video not recording

Have 3 Logitech circle 2 cameras. Converted them to HomeKit compatible with the Logitech firmware upgrade.

After a few initial issues recording worked for about two months.

We frequently got notifications (mostly in the afternoon) about the cameras going offline for a few minutes one at the time - seemed random. Camera 1 would stay online while camera 2 went offline. Internet connection was all fine when it happened.

However: One week ago these notifications stopped and the light on all cameras changed from red to blue and now they only stream and doesn’t record.

I have tried:

• resetting the cameras (holding the side button for 9 seconds)
  • unplugging power
  • removing and re-adding them to the Home app
  • switching off/on the record options in HomeKit app
  • logging in/out of iCloud and HomeKit on the AppleTV that serves as a hub
  • restarting our router

All devices are running latest firmware.

Edit: seems like I cannot select a very suitable category for this question. In lack of better options I choose Apple TV, but moderators feel free to move it

Posted on May 14, 2021 12:58 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

May 14, 2021 7:25 PM in response to Ninecows

Hi there Ninecows,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you are having an issue getting your Circle 2 cameras to record using HomeKit Secure Video. It looks like the blue light does mean that streaming is allowed but not recording. Which recording options are you trying to select in the Home app?

These articles may help:

How do I use my Circle 2 Camera with Apple HomeKit?

Use HomeKit Secure Video

Create scenes and automations with the Home app

We look forward to hearing back from you.

May 16, 2021 3:45 AM in response to Ninecows

That is exactly as intended, and I would say even optimal. Let your devices choose which band works best for them. That is what dual band Wi-Fi devices are programmed to do when offered channels in both bands. The issue is not about the Wi-Fi band.

HomeKit is a higher level of communication (it is about the cargo (data/content), not about the road), and is indifferent about which band is used. Don’t try to micromanage this, as you would be working against the protocols and built-in optimizations.

Your router will have designated channels for each band. The selected channel within each band could interfere with other nearby networks (or other interfering systems). An Auto Channel mode setting may try to find the ‘best’ channel, but may not find the same optimum as a full home network analyses may find (even better). The Auto setting may set a channel that is deemed optimal for that moment, but (depending on model device) may not adjust at a later time, when interference may have changed. A restart of the router may set a new ‘best’ channel to use for each band.

Some issues with mesh networks may require a restart of all nodes.

Another potential issue for some devices and services may be ‘Double NAT’ from using two routers. If you have a router and modem from your ISP and a mesh network, then remove the router, to use just the one router from the mesh network. If you have a modem-router from your ISP and a mesh network, then set the ISP router to bridge mode, to use just the one router from the mesh network. Google does not recommend setting the mesh router to bridge mode.

May 15, 2021 4:26 AM in response to Ninecows

Solved. I think I have reset the cameras ten times or so. The last one keeps appearing twice during setup and would not connect. That it appeared twice let me to think that it might be present on both 2.4 and 5 GHz., but that the camera/HomeKit would only accept 2.4 GHz. However my google mess wifi does not allow me to select only one of them and it might be trying and failing through 5 GHz.

So I shut down my google wifi mess and activated a 2.4 GHz wifi with same name and code from my ISP’s router. Reset and power cycled the camera a couple of times and moved very close to the router. Finally it was able to connect. Now switching back to the google mess and deactivated wifi on my ISP router and it still works.

So I’m guessing that the super automatic google wifi mess was disturbed by another network and changed it settings one week ago. This forced the cameras to a different frequency/channel that was not compatible with HomeKit.

I know Logitech writes that you can press reset for 6-9 s to “optimize” connection. I guess this only works if you have a connection to the camera.

May 15, 2021 2:00 PM in response to Ninecows

Hi again Ninecows,

We are glad you were able to sort out this issue. Since you found the issue was with your 2.4GHz versus your 5GHz network, additional information about recommended Wi-Fi router settings should keep this issue from recurring. Apple recommends that all bands on your network have the same exact name. For example, both your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks would be named Name, but most routers default to naming your 5GHz band Name-5G. Learn more in the Network name section of: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points.

We hope this helps!

May 14, 2021 10:15 PM in response to Cheryl_I1

I’m using stream and record both for the “at home” and “away” scenario. And yes I have read the guides.

Anyway the saga continues:

After I posted here yesterday I removed all the cameras again from the home app. I reset them all again and also rebooted my google wifi mesh router.

I unplugged all but one of the cameras and then I tried adding them again one at the time.

Weirdly enough the first camera I tried to add appeared twice during the pairing - popped up with “Circle 2 xxxx” and “Circle 2 yyyy” before the point where you enter the 8 digit code. This was with only one camera being turned on. It took a few attempts to add it. It would time out and give the error “Failed with OSStatus code 5 (EIO)”. But suddenly it was connected. It would not however record. It would only stream regardless of what settings I made for recording/streaming.

But….! Some time during this night it just started recording. This was like 6 hours after I finally managed to add it and set it to “record and stream”.

Sometime during this night we also got a message in the home app that a hub changed status. Don’t know if that’s related at all.

Problem is not really solved yet. I am still unsuccessful in adding the last two cameras. They will time out when I try to add them.

And then I’m still missing a good explanation on why it out of the blue will start or stop recording.

May 15, 2021 7:12 AM in response to Ninecows

And Apple, google and the rest of all those smart home makers should really coordinate this 2.4 vs 5GHz thing better.

Makers of routers should ensure a separate 2.4 network dedicated for smart devices and phone/Apple TV’s/hubs etc should allow communication with these even though they are on the regular network. Or at least the devices should provide some meaningful error codes allowing the user to do more efficient troubleshooting.

May 17, 2021 11:15 PM in response to Urquhart1244

My system is already set up like that - ISP router/modem in bridge mode and the google mess handling everything in automatic mode.

The connection was stable for 2 days.

Last evening one camera dropped connection for 2 minutes.

Then during the night another one (located 3 m in free line of sight from the google wifi) dropped connection for 6 hours until I did the “optimize connection” thing on it again. Didn’t get a notification on my phone - it just went offline and stopped recording.

This is seriously still in beta!

HomeKit secure video not recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.