Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to run diagnostics on my Mac air 2019 it says “Starting Internet Recovery” instead of Diagnostics

I started up my Mac holding down the letter d

I thought “Internet Recovery” was a 12-step program for Luddites!

MacBook Air

Posted on May 14, 2021 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 6:52 PM

Just to clarify, I get the Recovery message whether I choose recovery or diagnostics? This wasn't from the first designer of Apple Maps, was it?

Let's see how to scare the s* out of owners. Tell them we're reformatting the computer when they run diagnostics. Sheesh.

7 replies

May 17, 2021 8:49 PM in response to Jarmaracark

Jarmaracark wrote:

Just to clarify, I get the Recovery message whether I choose recovery or diagnostics?

Yes. Even if it boots into Internet Recovery Mode nothing bad will happen without your manual intervention as you are presented with a menu of options including "Shutdown" and "Restart".

If it was any other company I could understand it, but Apple used to pride itself on simple easy to use systems and interfaces. This goes to show how much Apple is failing these days. I saw the writing on the wall with the Retina laptops and macOS 10.13 how things were declining from Apple's glory days. Having an oversight like this 15 years ago would have been unthinkable for Apple.

May 15, 2021 10:33 AM in response to Jarmaracark

I know you said that you did it right, but it sounds as if you may be using the wrong command on startup. To access the Diagnostics mode, press the D key on restart. Internet Recovery mode requires that the Command + Option + R keys be pressed at startup. You can also do some diagnostics/repair by running the Disk Utility app. I would rerun it until it finishes with a Disk OK message.

When I try to run diagnostics on my Mac air 2019 it says “Starting Internet Recovery” instead of Diagnostics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.