Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a problem using modem mode (share mobile internet via WiFi)

After some updates, the phone stopped working in WiFi modem mode. I usually don't use this function, but I needed it. I tried it, my phone told me that my phone provider does not allow me to use this function. I called the provider's support service, but they told me there was no problem. Also, I have another phone (Android) that easily performs this function without problems with this SIM card.

It looks like recent updates have messed up this functionality.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on May 15, 2021 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 2:58 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to go to the menu that is described in the documentation. Unfortunately, I am not able to press the "version-number" as described there. There is no such thing in the iPhone 11 - I pressed and held, did anything, but nothing like that happened. Also no updates from the carrier. Sorry, but the documentation is lying about the functionality of the product.

The carrier does not provide any updates - so nothing.

Also, I did not hear the answer to the question - were there any changes related to this problem! The previous update refused to connect Wi-Fi to one of my routers, then it was fixed in the next update. Should I expect this to be fixed as well or not? Can you answer this question for me? Should I wait for a product update or hate the provider?

You send me some links, there is not even my country code there (+3 Ukraine)

[Edited by Moderator]

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 2:58 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to go to the menu that is described in the documentation. Unfortunately, I am not able to press the "version-number" as described there. There is no such thing in the iPhone 11 - I pressed and held, did anything, but nothing like that happened. Also no updates from the carrier. Sorry, but the documentation is lying about the functionality of the product.

The carrier does not provide any updates - so nothing.

Also, I did not hear the answer to the question - were there any changes related to this problem! The previous update refused to connect Wi-Fi to one of my routers, then it was fixed in the next update. Should I expect this to be fixed as well or not? Can you answer this question for me? Should I wait for a product update or hate the provider?

You send me some links, there is not even my country code there (+3 Ukraine)

[Edited by Moderator]

May 16, 2021 9:46 AM in response to GennadySh

Hello GennadySh,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about those difficulties with the Personal Hotspot feature.

To verify, did that still persist after following the steps from If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular)?

Hopefully those steps put you on the path to resolving your issue.

Take care.

May 16, 2021 1:24 PM in response to GennadySh

GennadySh,

If you haven’t already done so, you can also follow this article to check for any carrier updates: Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Should that behavior still continue, you’ll want to either touch base with your carrier again, or reach out to Apple Support using the following link: Contact - Official Apple Support

Regards.

May 16, 2021 11:32 AM in response to Sharon_419

Thanks for your reply!

I tried what you suggested, but the phone suggests contacting the operator to activate this feature.

As I said, I tried to perform a similar functionality on the Android phone, I have no problems there. Also, this functionality worked on this particular (current) phone.

I would like to know if there were any Personal Hotspot code changes in the latest fixes. And also to confirm that the problem is related precisely to the problems of the iPhone. Because I'm seriously going to fight with the provider, as he claims that everything is allowed for me. My wife has the same provider with another tariff plan and the same phone and she also has this problem.

I have a problem using modem mode (share mobile internet via WiFi)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.