Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy iPhone backups from Mac to external drive to free up space

I am running mac OS Catalina and used up almost all of my 250GB storage space on my Macbook Pro. I found out that around 100GB of that are old iPhone backups. Can I copy those backups to my external hard drive and delete from Macintosh HD on the Macbook Pro? If yes, can you please tell me the procedure? I do not want to buy more iCloud space to save those backups. If its of any help, I do occasionally use Time Machine to back up on my external hard drive. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2021 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 8:47 AM

Hello Christos887,

We understand that you’d like to store some iOS backup files in an external location. 

The following article has the steps you’re looking for. You’ll find them under section, ‘Delete or copy backups on your Mac or PC’: 

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Let us know if you have any questions.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 8:47 AM in response to Christos887

Hello Christos887,

We understand that you’d like to store some iOS backup files in an external location. 

The following article has the steps you’re looking for. You’ll find them under section, ‘Delete or copy backups on your Mac or PC’: 

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Let us know if you have any questions.

Copy iPhone backups from Mac to external drive to free up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.