Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what settings for photos to avoid duplicates, triplicates and etc.

Hi,

I use a MBP13 10.13.6 ( High Sierra)

I use an iphone 8 OS14.5.1

I do not subscribe to premium iCloud services

I would like to know which settings to use on both devices so that my iphone photos stream to the photos app.

But just one...one

I went through my library and deleted all many hundreds of duplicates over the past week.

Last night I heard the computer fan running & now see that hundreds of duplicate photos have again shown up on my macbook.

what settings do I want to use for:

macbook photos V3 app./preferences

icloud on mac

icloud on iphone

thanks, Mike

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 15, 2021 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 3:18 AM

Mike,

what are the Settings for the Camera on your iPhone?

You can see, if your iPhone is taking the photos and videos in the space saving HEIF format or as JPEGs in the

• Settings > Camera
  • Tap "Formats".

If the format is set to "High Efficiency" you are shooting HEIC, if it is set to "Most compatible"; the format will be JPEG.

HEIC has the advantage of a better compression needing only half the amount of storage compared too a JPEG of the same quality. Frankly, I am not sure, if My Photo Stream can handle HEIC at all. The support page for My Photo Stream (My Photo Stream - Apple Support) is only stating these formats as supported:

"My Photo Stream supports JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and most RAW photo formats. My Photo Stream doesn't support video or Live Photos. ...

Tony, do you know, how My Photo Stream is handling HEIC, if at all?

So I would switch the Format in the Settings of the camera to "Most compatible". You would then be shooting JPEGs, And My Photo Stream does not need to convert the files. They will arrive on your Mac in the same format as on your iPhone.

If you want to keep the space saving HEIC format an your iPhone and Mac make sure that the Settings > Photos : Transfer to Mac or PC are set as described by Tony to "Keep original".

If you are still getting duplicates, tell us please, if they are exact duplicates. Compare the format , the filename and the filename extension, the pixel size. Whenever I enabled My Photo Stream on my iPhone, I got plenty of duplicates with cryptic filenames and a smaller pixel size, because My Photo Stream has been uploading the photos from my Mac to the iPhone as smaller files with cryptic names. And occasionally these smaller copies got downloaded back to my Mac.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2021 3:18 AM in response to tourswag

Mike,

what are the Settings for the Camera on your iPhone?

You can see, if your iPhone is taking the photos and videos in the space saving HEIF format or as JPEGs in the

• Settings > Camera
  • Tap "Formats".

If the format is set to "High Efficiency" you are shooting HEIC, if it is set to "Most compatible"; the format will be JPEG.

HEIC has the advantage of a better compression needing only half the amount of storage compared too a JPEG of the same quality. Frankly, I am not sure, if My Photo Stream can handle HEIC at all. The support page for My Photo Stream (My Photo Stream - Apple Support) is only stating these formats as supported:

"My Photo Stream supports JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and most RAW photo formats. My Photo Stream doesn't support video or Live Photos. ...

Tony, do you know, how My Photo Stream is handling HEIC, if at all?

So I would switch the Format in the Settings of the camera to "Most compatible". You would then be shooting JPEGs, And My Photo Stream does not need to convert the files. They will arrive on your Mac in the same format as on your iPhone.

If you want to keep the space saving HEIC format an your iPhone and Mac make sure that the Settings > Photos : Transfer to Mac or PC are set as described by Tony to "Keep original".

If you are still getting duplicates, tell us please, if they are exact duplicates. Compare the format , the filename and the filename extension, the pixel size. Whenever I enabled My Photo Stream on my iPhone, I got plenty of duplicates with cryptic filenames and a smaller pixel size, because My Photo Stream has been uploading the photos from my Mac to the iPhone as smaller files with cryptic names. And occasionally these smaller copies got downloaded back to my Mac.

May 16, 2021 10:17 AM in response to tourswag

Hi there tourswag,

We understand that you would like to sync your photos across all your devices and are seeing duplicate photos on your Mac. We’d like to help however we can.

To confirm, are you using iCloud Photos on your devices or are you using My Photo Stream? Are you seeing these duplicates on your iPhone as well?

Let’s also follow the steps outlined here to see if the issue with duplicate photos continues:

How to use the Photos Repair Library on your Mac

Cheers!

May 16, 2021 10:29 AM in response to tourswag

Are you using My Photo Stream or iCloud Photos , or both?

Do use only one of the services. Using several services together is asking for trouble. Use either my Photo Stream or iCloud Photos or the manual import, but do not mix the methods.

Avoid a format conversion when syncing the photos. For example, if your iPhone camera is using the space-saving High Efficiency format HEIF, do not use the automatic conversion to "Most Compatible" when transferring the photos to the Mac, but transfer them as HEIC files and not JPEG files. The conversion can result in an endless duplication loop with my Photo Stream.

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

May 16, 2021 1:52 PM in response to Ben_Z1

thanks for the links

the verbage used by apple is unclear as icloud is often referred to as required

I was hoping for a step by step, or using the device list advice on which options to choose.

apple OS updates appear to have changed settings for me ( ?!)

at present I have my photo stream "off" and icloud "off" on my iphone photos settings

to prevent unwanted generation of duplicates

thanks, mike

May 16, 2021 8:55 PM in response to tourswag

Need further advice on this- after turning on "my photo stream" on both iphone and in photos app preferences on my Mac

my photo stream tab has populated hundreds of photos- although not the most recent pics which I see on my phone

in addition my photos library has been again duplicating photos- over a thousand more photos in my library than there were just a few hours ago- I can see duplicates showing up

if someone can give me a step by step, I'd appreciate

thanks, Mike

May 18, 2021 3:29 PM in response to tourswag

I now seem to be in good shape.

i take a pic on my iphone...and a copy- just one- appears in my photos library

Settings:

on iphone:

Formats: MOST COMPATIBLE

icloud: My photo stream ON ( icloud photos to off)

mac:

photos preferences:

icloud photo library OFF

my photo stream ON

mac preferences - icloud:

Photos CLICKED

next select "options "

icloud photo library unclicked

my photo stream CLICKED

Thanks for helping me, I hope this summary might help others

what settings for photos to avoid duplicates, triplicates and etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.