Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i connect my apple TV to my Macbook Pro?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 15, 2021 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 10:46 PM

• You cam connect them wired by HDMI, using the TV screen as monitor.
  • You can AirPlay over the home network, from the Mac to an Apple TV box that is connected to the TV.
  • You can AirPlay over the home network, from the Mac to an AirPlay 2-enabled TV.
  • You can use Home Sharing to get media from the Mac on the Apple TV box, over the home network.
  • You can user third party solutions similar to Apple’s Home Sharing.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device’s screen - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2021 10:46 PM in response to JamesDoneh

• You cam connect them wired by HDMI, using the TV screen as monitor.
  • You can AirPlay over the home network, from the Mac to an Apple TV box that is connected to the TV.
  • You can AirPlay over the home network, from the Mac to an AirPlay 2-enabled TV.
  • You can use Home Sharing to get media from the Mac on the Apple TV box, over the home network.
  • You can user third party solutions similar to Apple’s Home Sharing.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device’s screen - Apple Support

May 15, 2021 11:44 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Homesharing is useful because all of the media on the Macbook (music, videos & photos) can be accessed by the Computers app on the Apple TV. The Macbook is effectively a media server for the ATV. I use iTunes on a Mac running Mojave for this since it supports all types of media. Catalina & Big Sur also support Homesharing but sharing is a little more complicated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.