Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable inline attachment viewing in Apple Mail. Known solutions are not working!

Have to go back to Apple Mail, or at least I am trying to do that. And Im back at the same problem, why i last time went away from Apple Mail - the infamous inline attachment problem. Cannot add some files as attachement and viewd as icons.

Have lost again many hours and searched for solutions.

1. defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes, is not working in my case. Also tried instead of "Yes" "True".
  2. Also tried to disable system Integrity Protection and run again nr 1 command. Also, no help.
  3. Installed MacOS Mail Anti Inline Plugin - also, no use. PS!

4. Terminal has access for full disk access.

MacBook Pro 16, MacOS BigSur 11.2.3 (20D91), Apple Mail Version 14.0 (3654.60.0.2.21)

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 15, 2021 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 1:54 PM

Arombard wrote:

Known solutions are not working!

There never were any such solutions.

That "default" command only changes how the message appears when you view it. It doesn't change the message itself or how it will appear to the recipient. It never did.

In theory, an "anti-inline" Mail plugin could work. However, Apple Mail does not support plug-ins. Those few that people try to distribute are always flaky.

In short, this is not something to worry about. This was never anything to worry about. Just send e-mail and move on with life.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2021 1:54 PM in response to Arombard

Arombard wrote:

Known solutions are not working!

There never were any such solutions.

That "default" command only changes how the message appears when you view it. It doesn't change the message itself or how it will appear to the recipient. It never did.

In theory, an "anti-inline" Mail plugin could work. However, Apple Mail does not support plug-ins. Those few that people try to distribute are always flaky.

In short, this is not something to worry about. This was never anything to worry about. Just send e-mail and move on with life.

May 15, 2021 2:16 PM in response to etresoft

I hate then I receive emails, and all I can see is huge photo, pdf or some other file. My boss uses Apple Mail and I have many times told him to use normal email client, because it's pain to read such emails. So I worry a lot because of it :)

But anyway, if Apple Mail team has fetich for this "feature", who am I criticise it. Have to move back to Outlook or Thunderbird. And be patient then I receive another email from Apple Mail app.

How to disable inline attachment viewing in Apple Mail. Known solutions are not working!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.