Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Cellular Data Usage by Apple System Services

Recently my wife's iphone 7 has started to use large amounts of cellular data even though she spends most of her time at home on WiFi. When I look at data usage about 95% of the data is being used by System Services and of that 98% is under Documents & Sync. None of the loaded apps is shows using more than 1-2%. Wi-Fi assist and iCloud Drive are both off and only a few apps are enabled for Cellular Data. On my other apple devices System Services is never more than 40% and Documents & Sync are a fraction of that. I suspect that some app, perhaps a game, is downloading ads masquerading as an apple system service but I can't see any kind of breakdown in the Documents & Sync category. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of any tool or app that will track this background cellular data usage? Apple online support says they have no description of what is included in Documents & Sync.

Posted on May 15, 2021 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 12:19 AM

1GB a month is consistent with some sort of cloud service with large files like media or streaming media. Sharing media on WhatsApp or Instaplonk can use cellular big time if out the house.

I use only cellular on my phone, not wifi, and I use it all day. I use OneDrive for my documents. I do NOT use iCloud for photos or backup. I used 100MB cellular on Docs & Sync in 2 months.

My wife's phone uses only WiFi with a 5600MB cellular PAYG SIM. Emails and messages come through OK on lock screen without using any measurable cellular. Again all iCloud nonsense is turned off apart from the usual contacts, and mail.

Make absolutely sure all the cloud services have cellular turned off. If you have Wifi assist off and cellular off for all the iCloud and social media services it makes no sense.

You can check Settings, Battery and look at what apps are using the most time. Processes don't show unfortunately.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 12:19 AM in response to Teterwa60

1GB a month is consistent with some sort of cloud service with large files like media or streaming media. Sharing media on WhatsApp or Instaplonk can use cellular big time if out the house.

I use only cellular on my phone, not wifi, and I use it all day. I use OneDrive for my documents. I do NOT use iCloud for photos or backup. I used 100MB cellular on Docs & Sync in 2 months.

My wife's phone uses only WiFi with a 5600MB cellular PAYG SIM. Emails and messages come through OK on lock screen without using any measurable cellular. Again all iCloud nonsense is turned off apart from the usual contacts, and mail.

Make absolutely sure all the cloud services have cellular turned off. If you have Wifi assist off and cellular off for all the iCloud and social media services it makes no sense.

You can check Settings, Battery and look at what apps are using the most time. Processes don't show unfortunately.

High Cellular Data Usage by Apple System Services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.