Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I trade in for an new Macbook using an official apple refurbished macbook?

I have not yet purchased a refurbished Macbook Air, but I was wondering if the deduction for trading in will be less than trading in a freshly bought used Macbook Air

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 16, 2021 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 1:09 PM

Apple does not generally accept any trade ins of a current generation, so your idea of buying an M1 and trading it in 3 months later wouldn't work.

Additionally, a trade in will not give you what you'd expect. You would do much better selling it yourself. And, there is no way to predict how long it will last; the only safe thing to rely on is: you buy Applecare plus and you are covered for 3 years.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 1:09 PM in response to choco_green

Apple does not generally accept any trade ins of a current generation, so your idea of buying an M1 and trading it in 3 months later wouldn't work.

Additionally, a trade in will not give you what you'd expect. You would do much better selling it yourself. And, there is no way to predict how long it will last; the only safe thing to rely on is: you buy Applecare plus and you are covered for 3 years.

May 16, 2021 11:14 AM in response to PRP_53

Basically, The newer generation Macbooks are coming out whether that is the Macbook Air or Macbook pro, and so far there are many leaks about the performance of the M1X/M2 chip that will be in them, and I would want to wait at least a month or two to buy it due to a new product may have issues. However the school begins on the 1st of September, so I need to get a laptop before that. With the current COVID scenario, I'm not sure whether there will be enough Macbooks for sale etc after the first 2 months that I'm waiting for, so I probably need a brand new M1 Macbook air to support me through the first 2-3 months of school and then get an M1X/M2 laptop when possible. I understand that the M1 Macbook is very powerful as of currently, but there are rumors about the next generation of laptops being at least 40% faster than M1, and I would like my laptop to last me quite a bit longer (5-6 years), so I just want to choose the right option. Thus the question, if there will be a difference for trade-in value for a refurbished Macbook or a new Macbook that is newly bought

Can I trade in for an new Macbook using an official apple refurbished macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.