Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

21.5 inch 2012 iMac ssd upgrade

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my 21.5 inch 2012 iMac with an ssd. I was wondering if anyone knew wether you need a new thermal sensor for the ssd once you have upgraded. Can someone please help?

Mark.

Posted on May 16, 2021 5:26 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 16, 2021 9:22 AM in response to M_W_D

+1 on Jack's advice.

If you have the standard mechanical HD now, the speed difference between an internal and external SSD on a 2012 iMac is small enough to be virtually indistinguishable from each other in real-world use. Any difference would never be worth the considerable risk and expense of opening a computer Apple did not intend to be opened.

May 16, 2021 12:31 PM in response to Allan Jones

I am upgrading the ram anyway as it only has 8gb. I was going to upgrade the hdd to an ssd as internal ones are also slightly cheaper. I don’t mind the slight extra hassle as I will be removing the logic board anyway. I just wanted to know if I needed a new thermal sensor for the ssd and if the fan will ramp up.

21.5 inch 2012 iMac ssd upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.