Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email security for iPhone 12 Pro

I have two questions.

1. in email settings under s/mime, when I try to use the setting encrypt by default, it says “ no valid certificates found”. Is this how it should be?
  2. In my settings it shows ( Trust store version 2021021100 ) & ( Trust asset version 12 ) , is this correct? Is this trustworthy? When I click to try and try to find out it seems very outdated because it shows certificates for IOS 12. Currently my phone shows I have IOS 14.5.1 , this is my personal phone, is this how it should be, and is my phone secure?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on May 16, 2021 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 8:40 AM

You’re looking at S/MIME, which is certificate based authentication and encryption. If you don’t have a personal certificate loaded, then the message is as shown. Outside of some specific and user- or organization-specific circumstances, usage of S/MIME is somewhere between rare and negligible.

See: Use S/MIME to send encrypted messages in an Exchange environment in iOS

Also: https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/encrypting-email-ios-mail/

If you’re sending something truly sensitive, I’d tend to suggest use of a mechanism other than mail, and other than S/MIME mail.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 8:40 AM in response to Community User

You’re looking at S/MIME, which is certificate based authentication and encryption. If you don’t have a personal certificate loaded, then the message is as shown. Outside of some specific and user- or organization-specific circumstances, usage of S/MIME is somewhere between rare and negligible.

See: Use S/MIME to send encrypted messages in an Exchange environment in iOS

Also: https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/encrypting-email-ios-mail/

If you’re sending something truly sensitive, I’d tend to suggest use of a mechanism other than mail, and other than S/MIME mail.

Email security for iPhone 12 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.