Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU upgrade

Is it possible to upgrade the Processor or is it less expensive to get a new computer?

Posted on May 16, 2021 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 10:00 PM

I would not recommend a user making an attempt to remove the CPU. It's possible (I've done it) but unless you have prodigy-like technical skills, patience, and in the event of bent CPU pins - a microscope - do not do it. You're better off purchasing a new machine. The new 24" iMacs with the M1 CPU is a fantastic machine and faster than most anything on the consumer market.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2021 10:00 PM in response to gregfromdurand

I would not recommend a user making an attempt to remove the CPU. It's possible (I've done it) but unless you have prodigy-like technical skills, patience, and in the event of bent CPU pins - a microscope - do not do it. You're better off purchasing a new machine. The new 24" iMacs with the M1 CPU is a fantastic machine and faster than most anything on the consumer market.

May 17, 2021 4:01 PM in response to gregfromdurand

Not worth it. The small gains vs the headaches and stress? No. Trust me.

The reason I brought up having a microscope I had to use one to repair a couple of CPU pins on the motherboard. Reinstalling the CPU/GPU heatsink along with thermal paste over both chips without making a mess was some seriously difficult work. The work is so delicate, I'd be amazed to see how Apple does it on the manufacturing line. It's seriously difficult work on an iMac. I did it to replace the CPU/GPU thermal paste as it was a 2013 iMac that belonged to a friend and I disassembled it to clean out all the accumulated dust and lint from all those years. It was running hot and had no ventilation.

In addition, you have to completely disassemble your iMac. Every component gets removed until all you have is an empty shell. Not for those with frail hearts. :)

I did rescue the iMac though, but I won't ever do a CPU removal again.

CPU upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.