Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Software To Another Apple Account

My previous employer purchased multiple licenses of Logic Pro and allowed me to install it on my personal computer using the company's Apple ID to log into the App Store. I no longer work for the company. Logic still works on my machine, but I am no longer able to install updates when they are available because I do not have access to the company's Apple ID login information anymore since I no longer work for them.

I'd like to purchase a separate instance of Logic using my personal account. What is the best way to go about this? Do I need to uninstall Logic and then purchase and download it from the App Store again using my personal Apple ID - if so, how can I be sure that all of my templates, presets, and settings will remain intact? Or, is there an easier way (e.g., transfer the license from the company account to a personal account without having to reinstall)?

I'm happy to pay for it, my concern is about data and time loss.

Thanks in advance.

Gunnell Macbook Pro 16"

Posted on May 16, 2021 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 7:54 AM

My mistake, thanks Niel.

In that case, you can do everything I said but the purchased version of Logic will appear in your Applications folder.

Again, no need to trash any data. An advantage of keeping the older version on your Desktop is that you can have more than one version of Logic in your Applications folder at one time. I have 3 different versions.

Why would you do this? After updating, sometimes the newer version might be glitchy. You can append the name of the older version and it will happily sit next to the newer version and you can run both. The older version being there just for peace of mind.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2021 7:54 AM in response to Niel

My mistake, thanks Niel.

In that case, you can do everything I said but the purchased version of Logic will appear in your Applications folder.

Again, no need to trash any data. An advantage of keeping the older version on your Desktop is that you can have more than one version of Logic in your Applications folder at one time. I have 3 different versions.

Why would you do this? After updating, sometimes the newer version might be glitchy. You can append the name of the older version and it will happily sit next to the newer version and you can run both. The older version being there just for peace of mind.

May 16, 2021 7:28 PM in response to Niel

Thanks for the response, Niel. Maybe I should have been more specific. My question is about the transfer of that backed-up data. If there is no easy way to simply transfer the license of my current install over to my personal account, what is the best process for ensuring that I retain all of my data in the process of trashing and reinstalling? Where can I find a list of file locations and/or export processes for all settings, templates, presets, and user preferences and then import all of that back into the new install seamlessly?

May 17, 2021 7:43 AM in response to imightbewronger

You don't need to trash or re-install anything at all. Zip the Logic app up in your Applications folder and temporarily put it onto your desktop.

Make the purchase under your own Apple ID as you normally would.

Put the app back into your Applications folder from your desktop.

As you're now registered as a Logic purchaser through your own Apple ID, you will be able to see and update Logic as you could through your employers Apple ID. Nothing extra is stored in the Logic app itself to say who it is 'registered' to. That's how you were able to continue to use it despite no longer being employed by the original owner.

Transfer Software To Another Apple Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.