Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB eject icon not responding

For months now, I have been unable to properly remove any external device with the eject icon on the left USB port of my MacAir. The icon to eject will show up in Finder, but will not respond when clicked. I need to remove a thumb drive right now without damaging the information on it. What could be causing this and is there a work-around now that I have this thumb drive currently plugged into my MacAir? BTW, this is the case for everything I put in this drive. (Strangely enough, I've not yet tested the other the USB port on the other side to work around this issue but at this point, I don't want to chance it)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 17, 2021 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 11:42 AM

If you want to remove the thumb drive safely, simply shut down the Mac and remove it then. All files that were being written to the drive will complete before the Mac is actually shut down.

With that being done, you can test the other USB port with the drive.

You don't mention shutting down or restarting your Mac...that is your first troubleshooting process.

Click the Apple logo on the top-left of the Menu Bar.the options for Restart and Shut Down are there.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2021 11:42 AM in response to syomuse

If you want to remove the thumb drive safely, simply shut down the Mac and remove it then. All files that were being written to the drive will complete before the Mac is actually shut down.

With that being done, you can test the other USB port with the drive.

You don't mention shutting down or restarting your Mac...that is your first troubleshooting process.

Click the Apple logo on the top-left of the Menu Bar.the options for Restart and Shut Down are there.

May 17, 2021 11:41 AM in response to syomuse

Just shut it down (don't just Sleep the Mac) and then physically pull the thumb drive. Macs are meant to be shut down periodically.

I don't know why that would happen. It could be a glitch. Glitches are many times resolved by shutting down the device and restarting it.

If shutting down, restarting and testing the thumb drive in the same or different USB port results in it working correctly, then it was indeed a glitch.

This is part of troubleshooting issues...the process of elimination.

USB eject icon not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.